Chapter 15: Terror at the Academy

Yellow gleam passed through the glass window. Mountain of papers printed with ancient letters scattered across the table and some on the floor, a pink haired girl laid her face on it – sleeping. On her hand was a red shining artifact.

Sherry Barnett, a second year student and also the adoptive daughter of Lutheran Barnett, who's currently Midgar’s Academy vice-principal. She was orphaned at a young age due to a tragic event that fell to her mother. Since then Luther took custody of Sherry and treated her as his own daughter.

Over the years, she grew like her mother in terms of intellect and thirst for knowledge. Became one of the great minds in the kingdom for her ability to decipher ancient languages.

Princess Iris tasked her to decode an artifact found in the ruined building where Alexia was found after she was kidnapped. Coincidentally, it was also the same artifact that caused her mother's demise. It had been three days since Sherry started her research. Together with her were two crimson knights outside her room for her safety as Luther requested.

Vivid images gradually formed inside her head.

There was an old cabin in the middle of a hundred summer flowers, colorful butterflies flying around it. She strolled the garden of paradise, heading her way towards that wooden house. A short creak was made as she stepped on its worn-out floors, she saw a small hole in its door, pink eyes sneaked through. There she found a familiar woman on her back sitting on a chair. She had long pastel pink hair and seemed engrossed in the papers.

“Mother!”

It was Lukreia. Sherry tried to push the door, wanting to hug her, but it wouldn't budge.

She sneaked again, and found another person inside.

A sturdy man’s back appeared in the cabin. He felt familiar. Yet also different. The mysterious person was holding a sword. A bloodied sword. Its tip dragged on the floor, creating an ear-splitting sound as he ominously approached Lukreia.

Sherry tried to force her way inside. She knocked, kicked, and screamed out her lungs to warn her mother, yet strangely she wasn't heard.

Desperate.

Sherry desperately wanted to save her. Her legs fell to the ground – losing strength –, she covered her messy face from all those tears through a pair of swollen hands.

She didn't want to lose her again.

Even though it was only a dream.

Sherry didn't want to experience the same gut wrenching pain again.

A loud thud was heard from inside. Sherry wiped away her tears, curiously checked. Deja Vu. One stab after the next, starting from the limbs, making its way towards her internal organs. Before delivering the final blow to her heart. Sherry was far yet felt it within hairsbreadth.

Lukreia fell to the floor. Crimson blood flowed, spreading out its color as her life gradually flames out in her eyes.

Before her laid body stood a man. He was coated in jet-black visage and shadowy cloak. His identity was perfectly concealed.

“...mo.. mother…”

Sherry couldn't put her feelings into words. She couldn't bear to look at her mother's murdered body any longer. As she was about to leave and glance at her one last time, pastel pink met a crimson. Shocked. Sherry hurriedly jolted back away from the door.

Just as she was about to run. Glass shattered woke her up from the nightmare. A man clad in black stood up under those shredded pieces of windows on the floor.