Chapter 71

"This is an awful idea." Astrid reiterated to herself as she remained perched in the trees, hidden in the dense layer of fog that surrounded the camp. 

With hours' worth of arguments and debacles, mainly between Diyoza, Kane, and Astrid, they had finally agreed to a plan that wouldn't get Astrid killed. By either McCreary or Octavia. Unfortunately for her, it required hiding in the tree line like a coward. Unfortunately for Roan, he was stuck with her. 

Neither one was willing to discuss the politics of the war. Or talk in general. His micro aggressive comments and sinister glances only became worse once he found out they weren't going to be on the front lines. 

While Astrid had renounced her involvement in bloodshed unless absolutely necessary, Roan was itching for a fight. It's not like his brawl with McCreary and his henchmen ended well. 

The two of them sat in silence overlooking the camp, or Abby and Clarke more specifically. Watching their every move, looking for an opportune time to sneak the doctor out of the camp before all hell broke loose. 

Simple as that. 

Except it wasn't.

Octavia and the people from the bunker had lost the battle at the gorge. Another event that made them, Roan specifically, despise their position. They heard the gunfire echo into the night. Heard the leftover whispers of the violence. Each time it broke her heart to know that it might have been Holkom, or Bellamy, or somebody from Azgeda. In the end, it was still her people that died. 

Her people. Her responsibility. 

Yet, she still scolded herself for sitting up in that tree, despite it being the logical move. If she joined Kane and Diyoza, McCreary would have killed her. If she joined the rest of Wonkru, Octavia would have killed her before or after the battle, depending on Astrid's usefulness. 

It was agreed by everybody that Astrid was better off alive in the end. So, she hid. 

Geri and Freki were lurking in the forest nearby, unsure what to do with the tension around Roan and Astrid. Like two kids whose parents were on the brink of separation. They had a favorite, obviously. The uncomfortable setting only worsened when the wolves chose to sleep with Astrid in that cave over Roan. 

The night sky had aided their cover up on those branches. Astrid would look up to the tree Roan was settled on, only seeing the shadows mask his face. Those deep purple bruises had faded to yellow. Most of the cuts had healed already. But it had been days since he had looked at her with anything but resentment. 

A silent punishment for choosing the lesser evil in this war. 

"Arrow to wolf, over." Echo's voice crackled in Astrid's ear. She pressed the button on the walkie thrice to signal she was listening without giving away her position. "Meet us where the choir sings."

Again, Astrid pressed three times. Then, radio silence. After mimicking a quiet birdcall towards Roan, they began descending down the trees and slipped their way into the village. 

The entire forest seemed to bend around Roan. Balking at the heightened emotions that radiated off him. Though she was two steps back, she could feel it too. The presence of that quiet rage so intimidating even she cowered slightly. 

Perhaps the only person she would cower from. 

Hushed voices were already present when they reached the back of the church. There was no time for a reunion as they slipped through the back door. Right after Roan stepped in, Astrid gripped Raven's bicep and pulled her aside. 

"Please don't tell me we're actually doing this." Her eyes were pleading as she peered up to Raven, "She's a child."

"That's why you have to protect her."