Chapter 29

It took almost no time at all for the Azgeda warriors to begin drinking and stuffing their faces with food. Some of the finest breads, cheeses and meats were spread across the tables at the back of the hall. Laughter filled the room, mixing with the hearty music. Drums, flutes and other stringed instruments played around them as people danced in the middle of the hall.

Astrid was one of the many drunk fools amongst them. With her hands held in others, she tripped over her feet as she around in a circle, giggling and singing with the people around her. Her body felt warm and fuzzy, and a bit more sluggish than she'd care to admit. Surprisingly, she had never been happier in her life, despite signing her life away to be with Roan. 

Roan watched her from his table, sipping on an ale while chatting with fellow warriors. His eyes trailed every move, every twirl, every bow, every partner she danced with. He tried to blame it on the drink in his cup, but there was no denying a deep rooted jealousy began to emerge. 

The hearty music change to some grand melody, and Astrid found herself stumbling over her way to Roan. His face was blurry, swaying side to side with her steps, but she was able to see that long frown on his face regardless. 

"Are you going to sit and wallow all night or are you going to join us?" Astrid slurred as she took another swig from Roan's cup. She leaned against the table, with her feet crossed underneath her gown. Cheeks were flushed bright red from both the alcohol and constant dancing.

"How drunk are you?" Roan asked with a small smile on his face. She merely rolled her eyes.

"Drunk. Though, I've never been properly drunk before. There was one time when we first arrived on Earth, and then another time with Lexa. Which doesn't provide a great comparison so-"

"You're rambling." He interrupted her before he swiped the cup from Astrid's fingers and took another gulp of his ale.

"Maybe if you quit sulking and join your Queen, then I'd shut up." She giggled as she stood from the seat and offered his hand. The men around him whooped and chanted, but he remained firm in his seat. He hated dancing. More like he was bloody awful at it. There were always stepped toes and awkward movements. A dance with blades he could do, but with another person; that was impossible. 

There was a deep disappointment in Astrid's face when Roan refused to move. Roan could see the hurt in her eyes but refused to acknowledge it. Her hand dropped to her side, swishing against her dress. Without another word, she spun on her heel and was prepared to sneak another cup of all when another hand presented itself to her. 

"My Queen, I would be honored to have a dance with you." Astrid smiled, bright and beautiful, as she took Holkom's hand. They joined the masses of drunk warriors stumbling and dancing, spinning and twirling in each other's arms. Holkom was a strong and skilled warrior, but also a deft dancer to Astrid surprise. 

Though, her eyes continually flicked over to Roan whenever she could, seeing the scowl grow larger on his face. 

"Do not worry about Roan." Holkom said, and Astrid realized he must have noticed her wandering glances over towards the King. "He can't help that he is a piss-poor dancer. Let us pray he is not a piss-poor King as well."

Astrid snickered, "As long as he strays from his mother's path, I think we might be alright."

"Oh?" Holkom cocked a brow as he lifted Astrid off the ground and spun her around to melody, "Does ruthless violence and bloodshed not suit your palette?"

"Absolutely not!" Astrid laughed wildly, "I think I have had enough of that for a while. Perhaps our people will be better farmers than they are warriors."