Untitled Part 23: Entanglement

The cold wind rustled the snowflakes on the treetops, rendering the night in the royal city unusually tranquil. Aria disposed of the garbage, sitting on a wooden barrel, waiting for the two individuals in the armory to finish their quarrel.

Just then, footsteps crunched through the snow behind her.

Aria turned to see who it was, surprised. "What brings you here? I thought you'd be at the tavern again."

"I've decided to turn over a new leaf," Neven said, smiling. He was clad in a snug-fitting deep blue uniform of the Starguard Legion, every contour outlining his sturdy and well-proportioned figure. His deep-set eyes shimmered in the moonlight, and his neatly combed black hair danced in the breeze, accentuating his gallant demeanor.

"Do you have time tonight?" he inquired.

"Tonight..." Aria snapped back to attention. "As long as you don't keep darting around, I'm available anytime."

"Tonight, at midnight, meet me in the hall."

"Why?"

"I want to thank you."

"You led me into the demi-god barrier, and I saved your life in town. We're even; there's no need for gratitude," Aria shrugged, trying to sound nonchalant.

Neven gave a faint smile.

Aria's gaze fell on the dull crystal on Neven's sword hilt. "So, you..."

At that moment, sharp voices of Sable and Oak echoed from afar. They emerged from the armory, arguing loudly. Neven retreated into the shadows of the trees.

"See you tonight," he said softly before hurriedly leaving.

As Aria watched Neven disappear into the distance, a wave of unease washed over her. In her eyes, Neven's assistance had been a godsend. Without him, how could she have returned safely to Sovereign Bastion, enjoying the generous care of Seraphina and Lyra? Not to mention, the camaraderie she had found with numerous comrades in the Starguard Legion. Every time Aria felt discontent with Neven, it was merely a passing complaint.

Yet, Neven now seemed to be shunning everything, even casting aside his closest friends.

As the day's work came to an end, Aria joined Sable and Oke on their way back to the hall for dinner. The hall was bustling with laughter and chatter, with dozens of soldiers filling the tables. Their voices echoed in the air, weaving a magnificent symphony, accompanied by fervent emotions and unwavering determination.

Candlelight danced in the hall, casting a soft glow that illuminated every face like gold.

"I heard the Starguard Legion has welcomed a few new members," Alexander said, setting down his cup.

"For three years, we've been drowning in despair, becoming the most unwelcome legion," Sable said, with a look of despondency. "Ever since Neven got into trouble, no one dares to join us anymore."

"He's back now, and we will rise again!" Oak exclaimed, pounding the table, causing the soup to ripple.

"Haven't you ever thought about it?" Sable retorted sharply. "Neven is still under investigation, this matter isn't resolved, and he can never redeem himself."

"I heard he's already admitted his fault," Alexander said quietly. "If it weren't for Seraphina's plea, Neven might have been imprisoned long ago."

Sable and Oak let out a hopeless sigh.

Aria lowered her head as she sipped her soup, knowing full well that Neven's fate was beyond redemption. But in her heart, she felt it was only a matter of time before Neven returned to the Starguard Legion.