Untitled Part 21: Serpent

"Of course, the legendary figure of the Starguard Legion, the most outstanding Executive Commander." Oak exclaimed excitedly, his voice echoing in the hall, drawing the attention of many.

"Lower your voice, Oak," Sable said impatiently.

"After he and the cavalry went missing, everyone was speculating what had happened." Alexander continued in an elegant tone. "On the day after his departure, some scattered cavalry corpses were found in the woods. Many now believe it was his abuse of power, disregarding the lives of the cavalry, that led to the tragedy."

Sable sighed, a hint of resignation and sadness in his eyes. "I was supposed to be in the troop that day. He said my swordsmanship was poor and sent me to patrol. I consider myself lucky to have escaped that disaster."

"So, he knew the mission was dangerous and wanted a well-trained cavalry unit." Aria asked, surprised.

"Neven must have had reasons, just didn't have the chance to explain. He'll clear his name this time when he returns." Oak pounded the table again, making the plates rattle.

"You came from outside the barrier, how did you two meet?" Alexander asked, his voice gentle with curiosity.

"We met in the town of Longhorn outside. We've only known each other for a short while." Aria said softly, a hint of shyness and unease in her tone.

"So, you decided to come in with him, to such a dangerous place, how did you manage that?"

"I think... you should ask Neven about that." Aria lowered her head, her voice trembling weakly, as if lost in chaos. Then she hesitated, "Actually, we had only one candle to ward off evil. It helped us get through the barrier, but we haven't found a way out yet."

"I know Neven, he wouldn't easily bring a woman back here." Alexander furrowed his brow, his gaze betraying a hint of wariness and contemplation. "What's the nature of your relationship?"

"Friends, good friends." Aria lifted the glass of milk, her voice feeling frail.

"Neven is our best friend." Oak exclaimed excitedly.

With a clang, Sable kicked him under the table. "Let's go, the armory is a mess. If you keep eating like this, you'll never finish cleaning up."

Oak patted his bloated belly and let out a loud burp. "I hate cleaning weapons. Patrol duty is much better."

"What about me? Didn't Alpha say I could join the Legion?" Aria asked.

"Oops, I completely forgot," Oak slapped his forehead, a hint of apology in his smile. "I'm truly sorry, I forgot to tell you that Seraphina wants to see you, and it seems like... oh no, she wants to see you right now."

"What?" Sable exclaimed. "You forgot such an important thing? We're definitely going to be late if we have to take Aria there now."

"I can personally escort her there, it would be an honor to accompany a lady," Alexander said, gentlemanly, then turned to explain to Aria, "Seraphina is the Grand Mentor of the Venom Legion, she's an extremely caring woman."

As Sable and Oak left the hall arguing, Alexander pointed to his hand hidden under the table and said, "Actually, you don't need to worry too much about your other hand. No one will overly focus on your scales, you'll understand when you meet Seraphina."

Aria extended her scaled hand, smiling sheepishly. "I thought no one noticed."

"I noticed the moment you came in," Alexander said, smiling brightly.

Alexander was a very witty and conversational gentleman. Along the way, he spoke in an elegant tone about many interesting things. For example, he mentioned how he needed to catch a transparent scorpion for making a tonic, and how he had to sprinkle a peculiar starlight powder all over a field, attracting a swarm of stinging bees. He also warned not to linger in the hall before dinner, as Grand Mentor Alpha often posted some unfriendly notices there during that time. Alexander had also developed a rejuvenating water for the Lunar King, though it couldn't truly preserve youth, it could make the skin look ten years younger. He offered a bottle to Aria, but she declined. She had lived for over two hundred years, and her appearance had never changed.