Chapter 24

RO: You're freeeeeeeeee!

The message came through almost the second that Ollie and I left the art room, quiet pings coming from both of our pockets.

OLLIE: Finally!

NINA: It's Christmas!

RO: Fancy celebrating?

NINA: ???

OLLIE: I'm listening...

Ro's dots were moving at speed as she typed. Ollie looked up from his phone, an exaggerated grimace on his face. "This could be a terrible idea," he said. "A couple of years ago, Ro's idea of celebrating involved pinatas."

"That's not so bad," I shrugged. "They are for celebrations."

"Not seven of them at once."

"Fair point."

RO: Ice skating tonight? Jamie and Erin are up for it too.

That seemed pretty tame, I thought. Fun though, and I'd enjoyed spending time with Jamie and Erin at crazy golf a few weeks back.

"You in?" Ollie asked me.

"Sounds good," I said, firing a thumbs up to the group chat. "They still have the penguin things, right? I'm not a natural at it."

Ollie laughed. "Yeah, they do. Think you might have to fight off a few four-year-olds though."

"Rude."

"Tell you what," he said, as we left the building and found ourselves getting pelted by rain. "If there aren't any penguins and you go flying, I promise I'll catch you."

I laughed, probably a little too loudly, as I pulled my hood up. I hoped he didn't notice.

"Anyway," he said. "Got to get home. I'll see you tonight?"

"Sure," I nodded. "See you later."

I started over towards the bus stop. The weather was too grim to think about walking all the way home. I looked back to see Ollie, crossing the road to head back to his house.

When I got off the bus, the rain had died down a bit, so it wasn't too awful walking back home. I was surprised to see Mum's car on the drive; I'd expected her to be at the café.

"Hi, Nini!" she called from the living room as I opened the door. "Good day?"

"Yeah, not bad," I said, throwing myself down on the sofa next to her. "Glad it's the Christmas holidays."

"I bet," she smiled. "Did you hand in everything you needed to?"

"Yep," I said. "It didn't take as long as I thought it would to finish off that English essay."

"Good," she gave me a hug. "I'm proud of you, baby."

"Thanks, Mum," I squeezed her back. "Anyway, what are you doing here? I thought you'd be elbow deep in hot chocolates."

"Nah, not tonight. This weather is even keeping the dog walkers away, so I don't think there'd be much point," she didn't sound too disappointed which was a positive. "Thought I'd treat myself to a bit of rubbish telly instead – want to join me?"

"Can't tonight," I said. "I'm going ice skating."

"With Ro and Ollie?"

"Yeah, and a couple of others."

"Do you want me to drop you?"

It wasn't far to the ice rink. It was only a road back from the coast but when I looked out of the window, I realised it would have been stupid to turn down the offer. "Thanks," I said, getting up. "Just going to go and get ready."