CHAPTER TWO

The following day, Theolinda came to Brady Investigations, her private investigative firm, and found Arabella, her assistant, sleeping on the couch. Theolinda approached the young woman with wavy blonde hair, softly touching her arm to wake her up.

"Arabella, wake up," she said.

As Arabella hesitantly awoke from a dream of savouring her favourite vanilla ice cream, she looked around in confusion, unsure of her surroundings. As a result, she was astonished to find Theolinda kneeling next to her.

"What are you doing here?" Arabella inquired, looking puzzled.

Standing up with a smile, Theolinda replied:

"It's my office."

Realising her location, Arabella exclaimed:

"I fell asleep in the office! I was waiting for you. I thought it would take less time. What is the investigation about? Why so much mystery?"

Theolinda sat behind her desk and said:

"I spoke with Kerrigan in the Order. Everything that is said about this matter is a total secret, okay?"

Arabella, having spent several months in its psychiatric facility, was familiar with the Order. She had no complaints because she was recovering from her mental illness, but she was aware that there were many secrets in that hidden society.

"Okay, I won't tell anyone anything," she said.

Theolinda explained:

"There was a murder. Matthew Hawthorne, the victim, was 21 years old..."

"No, it can't be true! Matt was murdered!"

"Arabella, did you know him?" Theolinda inquired, astonished.

"He had the podcast Unseen Powers."

"And what was the podcast about?" Theolinda asked.

"About conspiracy theories, I always listened to him. In his most recent program, a week ago, he stated that he would expose the greatest conspiracy of all... Could he be referring to the Order?" Arabella wondered.

"Maybe. We need to launch a comprehensive investigation. Your input is invaluable. Thank you; this will make a significant difference."

A surge of pride filled Arabella's chest, a glimpse of her future as a detective shining brightly in her mind. She aspired to be a brilliant detective; in fact, she was set to begin her training in the fall, and she appeared to be doing well.