CHAPTER ONE

"People always ask me if there are conspiracies and secret societies out there that dictate our lives and control the world. Well, my answer is a decisive yes."

Matthew Hawthorne (Unseen Powers)

As Theolinda arrived at the crime scene, she took in the sight of the grim and eerie underground vault below the hall of the main building of the Order Sapientiae Antiquae. The dim lighting, the shadowy corners, and the flickering candles cast an atmosphere of mystery and suspense that seemed almost otherworldly. The body of the victim, Matthew Hawthorne, 21 years old, could be seen in the darkened corner of the vault, surrounded by lit candles and strange symbols, as if an elaborate ritual had been performed. The body was in a prone position, with visible signs of strangulation on the neck and the victim's clothing in disarray.

Theolinda said with a serious demeanour to the thin woman with curly grey hair who accompanied her:

"Kerrigan, what led you to call me to investigate this crime?"

Kerrigan, the Order's Domina Sapientiae, responded with a stern and demanding tone:

"This is a susceptible matter, and I want you to maintain the utmost confidentiality about it. The Order cannot have any of this get out to the public. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Kerrigan. But I still don't understand why I was specifically called in for this matter."

"Theolinda, you are the only private investigator I trust to conduct this inquiry. You understand the scope and activities of this organization. Your father's status as a prominent member of the Order was not in vain, either."

"Okay, I will take care of the investigation. Who was this boy?" asked Theolinda.

Kerrigan began to explain.

"His name was Matthew Hawthorne. He was 21 years old. A few days ago, he said he wanted to be a new order member. He arrived without an invitation from another member, which is a necessary condition. Despite everything, I and other members conducted interviews. Finally, we rejected him because he lacked magical abilities."

Theolinda considered for a few moments before asking:

"Does anyone know why Matthew was in the order building today?"

"Nobody knows anything," Kerrigan answered.

"I'm going to inspect the body for clues. Who is going to do the autopsy?" Theolinda asked.

"Dr. Mitchell Andrews. He's the order's chief medical examiner."

Dr. Mitchell walked in exactly at that moment. He was in his thirties, tall and skinny, with light brown hair, dark brown eyes, and a constant frown.

"I request that you leave the room to allow me to proceed with my examination."

Theolinda felt the man was impolite and responded:

"Excuse me, but who are you? I am Theolinda Brady, the private investigator in charge of the case, and I would like to finish my work before the crime scene is polluted."

Mitchell examined the red-haired, middle-aged woman in front of him. 'She's pretty, but I don't allow such superficialities to dazzle me,' Mitchell reflected.

"Mrs Theolinda, I'm Mitchell Andrews, the medical examiner, and I'd like to perform my job. Furthermore, I'm in a rush."

Theolinda refused to be intimidated by the coroner's attitude and responded: