Emma's Own Room (March 1922)

Thank you for your comments! I hope you enjoy the chapter!

On the morning of her birthday, Thomas, Mister Carson, and Mrs. Hughes escorted her to the ladies' quarters, where they stopped in front of a door.

"Happy Birthday, Emma!" Mrs. Hughes smiled.

Mister Carson, always a bit formal, smiled too, "I wish you the same," and gestured towards the nameplate on the door.

"Emma Grace Barrow," she read aloud, hardly able to believe her luck. She pushed down the door handle and slowly entered the room.

"Wow!" she exclaimed as she entered the room. Although it resembled her old room, the fact that it was now hers made everything different. She immediately went to her bed, covered with a colourful patchwork quilt gifted by Anna. "This is so beautiful!" she said, flopping onto the bed.

On the wall hung a framed picture of an idyllic landscape. She couldn't wait to explore the small desk on the opposite wall and decorate the bookshelf with her books, which now finally had a permanent place and no longer had to languish in a box under the bed.

"It's perfect!" Emma declared, turning to the three adults. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she thanked them with a big grin on her face. She hugged Mrs. Hughes first, then Mister Carson, who reluctantly returned her embrace, and finally her Dad.

Carson cleared his throat and stepped a little closer. "Although it's your room from now on, Emma Grace, if you misbehave, I reserve the right to move you back to your father's room at any time," he said with a hint of authority.

"I always behave, Mister Carson," Emma winked.

Mister Carson raised an eyebrow slightly but couldn't help a slight smirk, "I hope so, Emma Grace," he replied with a touch of irony.

Emma winked back and glanced at her father standing beside her, "Right, Dad? I'm always a good girl," she said with an innocent smile.

"Always," Thomas confirmed with a mischievous grin.

"Well, we're all sure you'll settle into your new room wonderfully, Emma. And if you have any questions or problems, you know where to find us," Mrs. Hughes said.

"Thank you, Mrs. Hughes and Mister Carson," said Emma, hugging them again before turning back to her room as the two older adults left the room.

Emma still couldn't quite believe it. Her own room! Thomas glanced at his pocket watch, "Breakfast is coming soon, then you have to go to school," he reminded her. Emma sighed. She would rather stay away from school and spend the whole day in her new room.

As was customary every morning after breakfast, Mister Carson came into the servants' hall with a stack of mail and handed Emma a small, beautifully wrapped package, "A package for you, Emma Grace."

"Who's it from?" Thomas asked curiously, sipping his tea.

However, a glance at the package revealed no sender. Emma took it in her hand, feeling a mixture of curiosity and excitement. Without saying a word, she made her way to her new room. She wanted to unwrap the gift alone, without her father's curious looks.

When she reached the room, she sat on her bed and began to open the package. Inside, she found a bound edition of 'Little Women' by Louisa May Alcott and a birthday card. On the card, beautifully written, it said:

Happy 10th Birthday, Emma Grace Barrow!

From O.T.