Wedding Time (Spring 1920)

The staff sat together once again for supper.

"I thought they were quite rude," Alfred remarked.

"That's because they have no clue," retorted Thomas. Emma rolled her eyes. As much as her Dad was kind to her, he couldn't stand Alfred from the very beginning. Admittedly, her first encounter with Alfred wasn't exactly positive. Nevertheless, she was trying to give the footman a second chance, and Alfred could be nice when his aunt wasn't around.

"Wasn't he rather rude too? Insulting our country and our King," Mister Carson said, "I thought it was a miracle that his Lordship kept his composure."

"But it must also be quite difficult, Mister Carson, suddenly sitting there with people whose chauffeur he used to be," Mrs. Hughes considered.

"It is difficult, Mrs. Hughes."

Suddenly, Carson cleared his throat and stood up. This, once again, meant that they all had to stand up, with her Dad taking his sweet time, unlike Emma. She eagerly jumped up from her chair. "Tom!" she exclaimed with excitement and greeted him with an enthusiastic hug. She hadn't had the chance to meet him since his arrival at Downton.

"Is there anything we can do for you, Sir?" Carson asked condescendingly.

"I just wanted to come down and greet you. I don't want you to think I've become megalomaniacal."

"That's kind of you," Mrs. Hughes said.

"I hope you and Lady Sybil are well," Anna smiled.

"Yes, quite well. Thank you. We've been following the story with Mister Bates. Mary keeps us updated all the time... well, I won't keep you from your supper."

"Thank you for coming down," Mrs. Hughes expressed her gratitude.

"Have you seen any le-pre-chauns?" Emma asked curiously, thus detaining Tom from leaving.

"Sybil and I can tell you magical leprechaun stories," Tom smiled. "Would you like to come upstairs with us?"

Emma grinned enthusiastically and quickly turned to her father, who, like the rest of the staff, was still standing.

"Dad, can I? Please!" she pleaded with large, irresistible puppy eyes.

"I'll bring Emma back in half an hour, I promise."

"Fine by me," Thomas nodded in agreement.

Lady Sybil, Tom, and Emma lingered in Lady Sybil's bedroom. Emma was excited to finally spend time with Lady Sybil and Tom. She loved listening to their stories, especially when it was about Ireland and the magical leprechauns.

"Ireland is so beautiful," Lady Sybil enthused. "And those mischievous little leprechauns live in the woods. It's said they can turn invisible and hide in the shadows."

Emma listened attentively. "Have you ever seen a le-pre-chaun?"

Tom smiled and nodded. "Once, when we were out for a walk. We suddenly heard a faint laughter and saw the grass moving, even though there was no wind."

"Tom told me they were leprechauns just playing with each other," Lady Sybil chuckled.

"I really wish I could have come to visit you," Emma sighed, "but Mr. Carson wasn't too thrilled with my idea."

"One day, Emma. There's plenty of time for you to come visit us in Ireland," she smiled.

On the day of Lady Mary and Matthew's wedding, Emma felt like a true princess. Mrs. Hughes helped her get dressed in a beautiful cream-colored ensemble that perfectly matched the bridal couple. Emma couldn't wait to walk down the aisle and scatter flower petals. She sat nervously in her chair, fidgeting with her hands as Mrs. Hughes used a curling iron to create gentle waves in her hair. She was so happy to be part of this special celebration and couldn't wait to see Lady Mary in her stunning wedding gown.