Game of War (May 1917)

AN: I think everyone is in shock that Carson allowed Emma to serve dinner. But ultimately, Mrs. Hughes had given her permission. However, all of this will be addressed again because it's not really common for a child to live among the staff... so stay tuned, because eventually Mr. Carson will be very furious at (with the kid) the end of season 2. 

Otherwise, I'm trying to build relationships step by step. Especially the relationship between Emma and Thomas. It shouldn't be forgotten that they haven't seen each other for two years. They practically need to get to know each other again.

"Would you come if I manage to do it?" O'Brien asked.

Thomas smiled as he exhaled the smoke from his lungs, watching the little girl beside the maid. Impatiently, she shifted her weight from one leg to the other, eagerly looking towards the village square where the other children were playing.

"Why not? It's a nice thought, giving Carson some order," Thomas replied with a grin, turning his attention back to the maid. He flicked his cigarette to the ground and stepped on it. While Clarkson allowed a smoking break, it was coming to an end, especially since the doctor was observing them in the background.

"Then it's settled," O'Brien said happily, gently pushing the girl forward, feeling the pressure of time as well, "Say goodbye to your father. We still have some errands to run."

Emma glanced briefly at the nasty maid. She didn't understand why Mrs. Hughes allowed O'Brien to take her to the village. Was it because the maid claimed they were going to visit her father? After all, she had been talking to him the whole time while Emma wasn't allowed to exchange a single word. Thomas leaned down slightly, and the child kissed his cheek, "Bye, Daddy," she smiled cutely, doing exactly what the adults expected of her. However, Thomas held onto her sleeve. "You know, you can ask Mrs. O'Brien if you can go and play," he said gently. Emma shook her head timidly, having learned early on to keep her communication and requests regarding O'Brien to a minimum. Thomas straightened up, and O'Brien lightly pushed the child forward onto the street.

"O'Brien," he interrupted her, "Let Emma play with the other children." Emma gave her father a small grateful smile, which quickly disappeared as O'Brien pushed her forward once again. "I'm sorry, but I don't have the whole day to supervise the brat," O'Brien snapped.

At the same time, Dr. Clarkson's voice could be heard in the distance, calling for Corporal Barrow.

"Please tell Mrs. Hughes that I'll spent the day with my daughter. I'll bring her back in the evening."

As if O'Brien had been waiting for this suggestion, she nodded in agreement, "Very well, as you wish," and left the Barrows.

Emma watched O'Brien walk away before turning her gaze to Thomas. "Go and play. You have all day. If there's any problem, you know where to find me. Otherwise, I'll pick you up after my work."

Playing outside all day? She had never had such a day before. Especially not with the children from the village. She was even more excited to be able to play with them for hours. Not once did she seek out her dad. She wanted to show him that she was a big girl now and could spend a few hours alone if it meant she could play with the other children more often.

Thomas picked her up as he promised after his work. He held the smoldering cigarette to his mouth. The children were still playing, even though the church bells had rung, and most families would be wanting to have their dinner any moment. A boy, armed with a wooden stick, threatened another boy. Undoubtedly, it was a game of war. Had the children been playing war earlier as well? If so, Thomas would have preferred to have sent his child with O'Brien, as the last thing he wanted was for Emma to think that war was harmless and fun.