Giant, Lilliputian & Dwarf (Spring 1920)

"Lady Mary," Carson said, surprised. The entire staff immediately rose to their feet. Thomas gently grasped Emma's arm, signaling to the girl to do the same.

"I don't want to keep you from your meal for long," Lady Mary explained, "Wedding plans are progressing, and we still need a flower girl... so I thought of Emma." The gazes of the staff all landed on the little girl, who stared at Lady Mary in astonishment. She had never been a flower girl at a real wedding before.

"Of course, only if you're agreeable, Mr. Barrow. After all, you are her father."

"I agree, Milady."

Lady Mary smiled in relief and looked at Emma. "What do you say, Emma? Would you like to be our flower girl?"

Emma could hardly contain her joy and nodded excitedly. "Yes, yes, Milady! I would love to do it!" The joy in Emma's eyes was contagious, and a relieved smile spread across the faces of the staff.

The four flower girls consisted of Ruby Harris (Emma's best friend), Daphne Atkins (the daughter of a Downton gardener), Victoria Sinclair (the Viscount of Sinclair's daughter), and Emma. The four girls immediately got along. And as the rehearsal was long and dull, they giggled and whispered to each other, just as Lord and Lady Grantham did while Lady Mary and Mr. Matthew stood before the altar, following the Archbishop's instructions.

"Do you already know what our dresses will look like?" Ruby asked curiously. Emma shook her head. "Mrs. Hughes won't reveal it to me. But she says the dresses are beautiful, and she will dress us."

"That's so exciting," Ruby's eyes sparkled with enthusiasm and anticipation for the upcoming wedding.

"Shall we call the troops to order?" Travis, the priest, spoke, shooing the four flower girls back to the church entrance. Emma and Ruby stood side by side directly behind Lady Mary and Lord Grantham.

Fortunately, it was the last rehearsal of the day, and the girls were quickly relieved of their duty.

"Are you coming over to my place?" Ruby asked. Before Emma could answer, Lord Grantham's voice sounded, "Emma, we will take you with us."

"I don't think that's going to happen," Emma replied softly to her best friend. The only advantage was that she wouldn't have to walk alone in the darkness – something her dad wouldn't tolerate anyway. It was likely that her father had arranged for the Crawleys to take her, as the staff would be too busy with wedding preparations to pick her up.

Ruby said her goodbyes, leaving Emma with Mr. Matthew, Lady Mary, and Lord Grantham. Lady Grantham and Mrs. Crawley had already left.

"Everything is arranged, I assume?" Lord Grantham inquired of his daughter and future son-in-law.

"It went quite well as expected," Matthew said.

"I don't understand why we had to rehearse so many times, to be honest," Lady Mary remarked.

"Well, if we did, it was certainly not due to the enchanting flower girls," Matthew winked.

"We made sure to be on our best behavior and do as we were instructed," Emma confirmed.

"I assume you're looking forward to the wedding too?" Lord Grantham asked curiously as they headed to the car.

"Yes, Milord," Emma nodded. "I've never been a flower girl before."

"Emma was very excited when I asked her," Lady Mary smiled. "You should have seen her radiant eyes, Papa."

"It's lovely that everyone will have their part in the wedding – even the youngest ones," he smiled.