Lady Sybil (June 1920)

A shock coursed through Emma, and tears welled up in her eyes, streaming down her cheeks uncontrollably. Lady Sybil was no longer there. The thought that she could never speak or correspond with her again was painful. She loved Lady Sybil, valued her wise advice, imagination, generosity, and humor. Thomas, who believed his pain from Lady Sybil's passing was already immense, had his heart shattered seeing his daughter so distraught.

"But..." Emma sobbed, but she had to cut her sentence short. She turned to her Dad, burying her face in his shoulder. "Her baby," Thomas could discern from her several sobs. He gently extended his hand and began to stroke it up and down Emma's back, trying to comfort his little dwarf, but it was just as much a comfort to him. Emma clung tightly to him, and he could feel her heart beating faster. He felt her tears on his shoulder as he gently pressed a kiss to her forehead.

As he held his daughter in his arms, he didn't dare to even dream of how Lord and Lady Grantham must be feeling at this moment. They had lost their daughter, and the thought that the same could happen to Emma choked him up. The mere thought was unbearable and brought the painful reality of life's transience even closer. Thomas held Emma even tighter, as if he wanted to protect her from all the evil in the world.

Father and daughter remained in this sad embrace for a while, as the world around them seemed to stand still. Grief hung heavy in the air, and thoughts swirled in their minds, full of memories of Lady Sybil. Finally, Thomas broke the silence. "We must get up," he noted, looking at the clock. Although he wouldn't want to send Emma to school in this state, there were duties and rules they both had to adhere to at the Abbey. And one of them was to be punctual for breakfast.

"Daddy," Emma whispered with a broken voice, "I don't want to get up now. I just want to stay here, with you."

Thomas understood Emma's sentiment all too well. He continued to hold her close, savoring the warmth of their shared grief. "I know, my little dwarf. I don't want to let you go either, but we have responsibilities. Lady Sybil would want us to carry on, as difficult as it may be."

Emma looked up at her father, her eyes still moist with tears. "But it's not fair that she is gone. She just had a baby."

Thomas sighed, his own grief echoing in his voice. "Life is rarely fair, my love. But we honor those we've lost by living the best way we can. Remembering them, carrying their spirit with us. You know, one day, you'll share all the stories with Lady Sybil's daughter."

Emma nodded slowly and lifted her head, "I will do that," she smiled sadly.

They reluctantly untangled themselves from the embrace, and Thomas stood up, offering his hand to Emma. "Let's face this day together, Emma."

As they made their way downstairs, the atmosphere at Downton Abbey was heavy with sorrow. The staff moved quietly, and the usually bustling halls felt like a mausoleum of memories. The news of Lady Sybil's passing had already spread through the estate, and a somber mood enveloped the entire household.

The girl walked down the corridor when she heard a soft sniffle from Carson's office. She knocked on the door and waited for a moment, but it seemed her knocking went unnoticed. Emma slowly opened the door and entered. Mister Carson sat behind his desk, his head heavy in his hands.

"Mister Carson," Emma spoke softly.

The butler slowly raised his head and looked at Emma with sad, moist eyes. His usually stoic expression was broken, and his deep sorrow was evident.

"Emma Grace," he said with a shaky voice, wiping a tear from his cheek, "What brings you to me?"

Emma approached and sat carefully on the chair opposite Carson. She reached for his hand and squeezed it gently. "I miss Lady Sybil – just like everyone else here."