Lt. Edward Courtney (April 1917)

TW: character death (due to the event in season 02 episode 02)

Thomas actually came to the Abbey to pick up his daughter, but Mr. Carson stopped her, "I haven't properly thanked you for your help, Emma Grace. I've been thinking about how to express my gratitude for the evening," he said, handing her a bag, "A small token of appreciation from me and Mrs. Hughes." He gave the second wrapped gift to Thomas since the child didn't have a free hand. "And this is a gift from Lord and Lady Grantham to Emma Grace."

"But Mr. Carson, it wasn't necessary," she replied.

"If someone had told me before dinner that a 5-year-old child could serve better than a grown man, I would have had a child-sized livery made. Lady Grantham and Mrs. Crawley still speak highly of you. That doesn't mean I approve of children serving here. Thats was a one time thing," Carson said before disappearing, leaving Emma with her curious father. She took out a coloring book and crayons from the gift bag. Then she received the second gift. Quickly tearing open the wrapping paper, she held the book 'The Wind in the Willows' in her hands.

"So, you served at dinner?" Thomas summarized. Emma turned to face him, nodded, and then returned her attention to her gifts. Maybe she should help more often if she gets presents every time.

"While that's very commendable, I think it's time for some fatherly advice. Enjoy your childhood. Let the servants work. After all, they're paid for it."

"I enjoyed it. I don't mind helping."

"That doesn't matter... you're still a child. Go play, have fun, but don't take on the duties of the servants again."

After Emma put away her gifts, Thomas took his child by the hand and led her to the Downton Hospital. Through Lady Sybil, he had come to know Lieutenant Courtenay. They often spoke to each other. Edward Courtenay managed to extract personal information from the corporal and insisted on wanting to meet the little girl. "Children allow us to see the world with differents eyes," said the former Oxford student.

"Dad, what's a bastard?"

"Where did you hear that word?"

"Sir Richard called me that."

Thomas abruptly stopped walking. "What?" Although it sounded like a question, it was more of a horrifying realization of what the upstairs thought of his child.

"He said I'm a bastard," she explained.

For a brief moment, he closed his eyes before letting out a loud sigh. "Listen, my little dwarf," he said, crouching down to be at eye level with his daughter. "That's a term used for children whose parents aren't married. It's a nasty word. It labels a child as inferior because it's considered a sin if the parents aren't married." Thomas took a brief pause. The world was completely unfair if one couldn't prove they had married parents or if they were different from the majority of the population, like he was. "I don't think you're any less valuable just because your parents aren't married, but society thinks so."

"Were you married to Mama?"

Thomas nodded weakly. After all, this was a lie. However, it was a lie that would protect his child from a life of hate and hurtful words. A lie that would give the child a good future.

"Nevertheless, there will still be people who try to insult you because they don't know, they only see that I'm a single parent. So please remember: No matter what people say to you, that's not who you are. Your mama passed away very early, that's why you live with me."

He gently stroked Emma's face with his hand, removing a strand of hair that was covering her eyes. "Promise me that you'll never use that word and always remember that you're not worth any less just because your parents aren't married, okay? Treat every person with respect, no matter how different they may be."