Prologue

Mid Rim - Algaran System - four months before the battle of Geonosis

"All rise for the ambassadors of the Republic." The bailiff's voice echoed through the ornate hall, finding no purchase on the marble and stone. It was a building Larin had long admired and as she stood erect in the official Algaran military garb, she beamed with pride. Every piece of the deep green fabric had been woven in her beloved system, every metal of every button and clasp mined and forged from their planets and moons. And now the Republic had the gal to object.
"Senator Fema Baab of the Bajic sector," the Bailiff announced. Following the direction of his gaze, Larin watched as the senator entered the room with two personal guards and a pair of assistants. She was younger than Larin had expected, though her dark, high necked gown and tightly gathered hair gave her an official presence belying inexperience. With effort, she refrained from attributing the senator with the same assumptions many of her peers extended to her own youth.
"Jedi representative Sorin Rayn."

Larin's head whipped about, heart pounding. For a moment she doubted she'd heard correctly for surely it couldn't be him. The man who entered the room was stocky, the breadth of his shoulders a testament to a strong athletic form hidden by long earth-toned robes. Fine, dark hair fell past his clean-shaven jaw, the top section pulled away from his face though a stubborn strand fell over his eyes. Eyes that were the same color as the muddy pond they'd played in as children.

"Larin," a voice whispered to her right. "You okay?"
A nudge to her shoulder made her blink, her neck heating as she clipped her mouth closed.
"Fine," she replied tersely with a reproving glance over her shoulder. Rune's eyes narrowed with concern and guilt pricked her.
"Really," she gave him a rare small smile. His expression cleared and they locked their gazes forward once more. She forced herself to study Madyk impartially, but forgotten memories kept resurfacing in her mind. They'd been so young, her older by only one year. At age six she'd had few friends with home situated at the outskirts of their town. They'd been too young to notice or care about their thin clothes and ratty shoes. They'd simply ran and laughed and played to their hearts content, thinking time stood still. But it didn't. And then he was gone. And now she knew where.

Pieces of their time together remained blurry, but she recalled the few times he'd shown unusual abilities. He could always jump higher, run farther—understand her better. Better than anyone. He'd been an oddly perceptive five-year-old, but a Jedi?
Absently, she noticed the signal for everyone to be seated and the discourse to begin. Sorin was 24 now, but seemed older. Perhaps it was because the last time she saw him he'd lost his two front teeth and was covered with freckles. A part of her wished the military was seated closer to the proceedings, but good sense yanked her back into the present, redirecting her to the official discussion.
Remember who they are and why they're here.

"Algaran High Senator Elris, present your case," the Mediator initiated. Elris stood, her ornate emerald gown shimmering.
"The Algaran system has been allied with the Galactic Republic for nearly two centuries," she began, her strong voice contradicting the silver in her hair. "This arrangement benefited us both in the beginning, however in the past half century Algara has experienced its fair—or should I say unfair—share of neglect and increased taxation and dictated immigration. We've observed this from other systems across the mid-rim who have pleaded with the Republic even longer and have seen little reprieve from their suffering. The Algaran High Senate is in agreement that the time has come for our alliance with the Republic to dissolve for the betterment of our people and homeland."
The crowd rippled with emotion. Larin studied the ambassadors, looking for signs of the tension no doubt taut in their midst. Senator Baab leaned toward her assistants before consulting with Sorin—the Jedi. Finally, Baab stood.
"The Galactic Republic is grieved that you see succession as your only option. We propose that you bring this matter before the Senate on Coruscant and the Vice Chancellor before making such a consequential decision."
The second Algaran High Senator stood, smoothing the robes draped over his thin form. "We've already submitted several pleas but have been met with dismissal and silence. How much longer do you expect us to wait? Until we are forced to ration food and water? No longer will we accept such passive treatment of our adversities."

The debating continued for another hour, with neither side willing to yield their stance. To her credit Baab retained composure, repeatedly entreating for a compromise or an official hearing with the Galactic Senate, but Algara had made up its mind. After a final plea by the senator to confer with the Vice Chancellor before the succession was officiated, the bailiff dismissed everyone for the morning, stating they would reconvene at the fourteenth hour.
Larin exited into the warm sun, barely seeing the lush gardens so rare anywhere outside the capitol city.
"I never realized how sore your legs could get just from sitting too long," Rune said, hopping up and down. "I'm starving too, want to get something to eat?" He shook out his legs, turning toward her. "Hey, what's up?"
Larin snapped out her thoughts. "What? Oh, sorry. Just lost in my head."
Rune raised a fair brow, his blue eyes studying her. "Well, does your head say you're hungry? 'Cuz my stomach does."
Larin rolled her eyes but couldn't hide her amusement.
"Okay, the ration bar I had for breakfast didn't do much." 
"The? As in singular?" He shook his head with a grin. "I eat four of those and I'm still hungry an hour later. What sounds good...sandwiches?"
Larin shrugged her agreement and they started toward the plaza where the restaurants had eagerly anticipated the large official gathering and were even now coaxing tempting aromas into the air. Despite their military privileges, the lines were unavoidable and long. As they waited, Rune kept up an acceptable flow of conversation, but a glimpse of a familiar face beyond the crowd stole her attention.
"Larin?"
"Huh?" She turned to Rune.
"You didn't hear a thing I said," he said dryly. She winced.
"Sorry. Could you excuse me for just a moment? I think I see someone I need to talk to."
Without waiting for a reply, she wove through the scattered tables and groups of government attendants toward her target. Would he recognize her as she did him? It'd been a long time, but he'd always had a better memory. Maybe if she just got a closer look.
Several yards ahead of her Sorin turned down an archway, one she was pretty sure led to an old overlook of the lake. Quickening her steps, she picked her way over the cracked cobblestones. Unsurprisingly she encountered no one else on the path and didn't stop when she reached the balcony. As she approached, he turned swiftly, hand tucked beneath his robe and expression fierce. She rapidly backtracked, flailing to catch her balance.
"I'm a friend," the routine phrase slipped from her lips following her training, hands raised and open.
His posture relaxed and he dropped his hand, green eyes studious.
"A friend," he repeated. Closer up, she noticed some of his freckles stubbornly remained, revealing some of the boy she once knew.
"An old friend," she said quietly, not even daring to hope.
"Sorin Rayn, Jedi Knight." He bowed, a fist over his heart. In matching formality, she stood at attention and held out her hand.
"Private Larin."
His expression flickered and he hesitantly grasped her hand. Then, like the sun breaking through the winter clouds, his eyes widened.
"Lahri?"
Unbidden, a smile pulled at her mouth. He ran his hands over his hair.
"I don't believe it," he muttered. "I never thought..."
She cocked her head, waiting for him to continue, but instead he shook his head. "I'm afraid I only remember a little, like...recalling a dream. We were children together, right?"                                          

Her smile fell but she managed a nod.                                                                                                             "What—how...how are you?" He asked awkwardly.
She studied him for a moment before answering. "I'm doing well." She hesitated before continuing. "I followed my father's footsteps and am progressing well in my military career. Aspiring for pilot, but my superintendents say I have an affinity for strategy. My grandmother moved in a few years ago and keeps me busy when I'm home. And you?"
He blinked several times. "I...I'm fine. I'm here with Senator Baab, with the honor of representing the Council in the matter of Algara wanting to succeed from the Republic."
He turned toward the stone wall where beyond the lake glistened, the warmth a sparse pleasure in the current season.
"Does Algara typically have military presence at senate discussions?"
She shrugged. "Yes, though this is the first I've been present for. Captain Moura was aware of my strong position in the matter and with a few favors, secured a place for me in the hall."
"And what is your strong position?"
She flicked a glance at him. "I believe Algara deserves its independence. We need independence."
He clasped his hands behind his back. "I'm afraid you might not be fully aware of what that encompasses in its entirety."
"Oh I am fully aware."
His head snapped toward her, eyes flashing. In an instant she recalled how headstrong he'd been as a boy, but as the oldest she usually had a louder claim in matters. Now their age difference seemed of little consequence.
"The Republic supplies the stability, protection, and commerce smaller systems like Algara need for survival. You would subject your people to poverty?"
"They're already in poverty," she said, refraining from a sigh.
"And the Republic has a system in place for aid," he quickly countered. "Without our connections you'll never get the revenue and resources needed to retrench."
"We've already started and have seen good profit. Profit, I might add, that was taxed by your Republic."
Sorin's jaw clenched. "These are just the same arguments we spent all morning listening to."
Larin tucked her chin in agreement, but frustration made her tighten her fists. "But they're arguments worth having. Without challenge, a people cannot become stronger."
"And leaving the Republic will make you strong?"
"I believe so, yes."
He folded his arms. "I thought your military was funded mainly by the Republic? What would happen to it—to you—if you succeeded?"
"We do have resources. If we relied too heavily on our alliance we would never be in the position to leave as we are."
Sorin scowled.
"What made you so loyal to them anyway?" She asked, annoyance prickling her spine. "They stole you—the Republic. The Jedi-"
"They didn't steal me," he retorted. "They trained me. Everything I am is because of the Republic and the Jedi."
"And what are you?" Her voice raised, though no one was near to hear it. "You were a child and they took you from your family for what? To become some...magic wizard?"
"My family is the Jedi order."
"Your family is dead."
An emotion other than anger flickered in his eyes.
"What are you talking about?"
Her jaw ticked in an effort to dam the rising emotion. "Your. Family. Is. Dead." She took a shaky breath. "You had a brother, remember? I guess not. He was several years older than us. Got caught in a landslide after an improperly decommissioned Republic mine collapsed in an explosion. A year later your father's ship was shot down while delivering aid required by another Republic system." Larin swallowed the unwelcome burning sensation in her throat. After another deep breath she willed herself to continue.
"Your mother worked, but she was always weak. Didn't make it two years before she succumbed to grief and ill health."
It had taken a long, long time before the loss of her parents had faded into the determination and focus needed for her career. But evidently some of memories refused to be buried, like the wails of her mother for the loss of her sons.
Larin studied Sorin's profile as he stared unseeing at the water. The minutes past slowly.
"The past cannot be changed," he said softly. He turned, his expression impassive. "My allegiance is to the Jedi order and the Republic. It's my duty to help people, as I've been trained to do. And right now that means doing all I can to keep systems like Algara from disbanding their alliance."
She studied the man before her, the little brother she'd once loved dying like the rest of her family. Resentment burned hot within her, and she took a steadying breath.
"I have no use for the Republic. Or its Jedi." Then with a turn of her heal, Larin Rayn left.