I) Blizzard That Is My Life

August.

"Gabe, honey, we're going to England for a few days." I heard my mom say faintly, through the door.

"England?" The failure of a man said in disgust, "Why?" He spat.

I was about to run in, I wanted to kick him where the sun doesn't shine, he didn't deserve to drag on his pathetic bloodline.

"My- my manager.." she said, "my book signing is there and I'm needed." Mom explained slowly.

"Book?!" He yelled, "I told you not to pay those stupid people to sell your stupid book!"

"I- I did.. but it's okay.. I'll get more money.. you'll have more money to buy.. cars and.. cigarettes, anything. It'll all be yours." She said and my teeth gritted.

Why? Why must mom, the most beautiful, perfect, kind soul in the entire world want to stay, with him? She deserves a king, a kind, loving, king, a god! Not him.

"Okay." The useless person said, "But you better come back with expensive cigars." He demanded.

"We will, thank you honey." Mom said.

I was in my room. I wanted to open the door, to stab him, to make sure that he reaps the pain that he sowed, but I couldn't.

I suddenly heard a knock on my door, "Percy?" Mom called through the door.

"Come in." I said, smiling like I hadn't heard their entire conversation, like I wasn't mad at mom for listening to that excuse of a man.

"Honey," she looked at me sadly, "I know.."

"If you know then why don't we leave?! You're making money, a lot of it, why're you letting him waste it? Why're you letting us stay?!" I asked, making sure he didn't hear us. God knows that that man will run in here and kick me out of the house that he doesn't even pay rent for.

"Percy,"

"I know you have a reason, but is that reason enough to keep us in a constant state of misery and fear?" I asked.

"You'll know when you get older, you will, I promise, this is for the best." She smiled at me but it was dim, it had a hidden emotion, pain, fear, sadness.

"Okay." I said.

Talking more about it will only make her feel worse and I didn't like that. She didn't deserve this but I couldn't do anything, I was useless. She had a reason, mom was smart, she was wise, if she had a reason, it was a good one and I trusted her. I believe in her cause, as painful as it is, I'll stay by her side even if she won't leave him.

She hugged me, "Percy, would you like to go to London with me?" She asked gently.

I pulled away from her hug, "I would, how long?"

"A few weeks."

I knew we wouldn't leave for too long but.. one could hope, right?

"Okay." I said, smiling.

"We'll leave tomorrow, we'll be back a few days before the school starts."

I pouted, "I don't wanna go back to that school."

"Percy, you know it's-"

"Good for me," I finished for her, "I know, I do, it's just.. I can't read, I can't focus.. I can't remember anything they tell me, so what's the point?"

"Please Percy, it's a new school year, please try, okay? For me?"

I sulked, feeling defeated, mom always said an education was important, I didn't really believe that, it didn't matter to me, I just wanted to spend all day with her, listing ideas for her new books, baking her famous blue cookies, just.. talking. It was all so much better than going to the bullies, the mean teachers who always seemed to hate me without getting for first know me, just everything about school sucked.