-ˏˋ⋆ CHAPTER 2 ⋆ˊˎ-

Leila's POV

I never imagined darkness could be so suffocating, but here I am, surrounded by it. My heart races, pounding against my ribcage as fear courses through my veins like wildfire. I run, my legs carrying me as fast as they can, but there's no escape, no reprieve from the terror that chases me.

Glimpsefiends—they're everywhere, their twisted forms lurking in the shadows, their razor-sharp teeth glinting in the dim light. I can hear their guttural snarls echoing in the darkness, a chilling reminder of the danger that lurks just beyond my sight.

I stumble, my breath coming in ragged gasps as I struggle to keep moving. But then, as I round a corner, I see them—Theo, Carter, Brooke, Madeline, Felix, William—all lying lifeless on the ground, their eyes staring blankly into the abyss.

Tears blur my vision as I stumble to a halt, my knees giving way beneath me. I reach out a trembling hand, desperate to shake them awake, to bring them back to me. But they're gone, their bodies cold and still, their voices forever silenced by the cruel hand of fate.

I'm alone. Utterly and completely alone in this nightmare world. The realization hits me like a physical blow, leaving me reeling with disbelief. How could this have happened? How could everyone be gone, leaving me behind to face this horror alone?

With trembling hands, I began to run, my feet carrying me away from the scene of devastation with no destination in sight. Each step echoed in the silence, a stark reminder of the emptiness that surrounded me on all sides.

But no matter how far I ran, I could not escape. Tears blurred my vision as I stumbled forward, the echoes of their voices ringing in my ears like a mournful dirge.

And then, with a gasp, I jolted awake, my body drenched in sweat and my heart pounding in my chest as I gasped for breath, and tears streamed down my cheeks . For a moment, I lay there, trembling and disoriented, as the remnants of the nightmare clung to me like a suffocating fog.

I stumbled out of bed, my trembling legs carrying me across the room to Theo's door, my legs shaking with each step. I knocked softly on his door, my voice barely a whisper as I called out his name. Then I start knocking urgently, the sound echoing through the silent hallway as I waited for him to answer.

Seconds later, the door swung open, revealing Theo's concerned expression as he took in my tear-streaked face. Without a word, he pulled me into his arms, holding me close as I sobbed against his chest

"It's okay, sweetheart," he murmured soothingly, his voice a gentle reassurance in the darkness. "I'm here."

His words were like a lifeline, anchoring me to the present and pulling me back from the edge of despair. As Theo held me close, I allowed myself to believe, if only for a moment, that I wasn't truly alone. 

I couldn't help the blush that spread across my cheeks as Theo scooped me up into his arms, carrying me bridal style into his room. His touch was gentle yet reassuring, and I found myself melting into his embrace despite the embarrassment that burned in my cheeks.

"Um, Theo, you really don't have to carry me," I mumbled, my voice barely above a whisper as I tried to hide my embarrassment.

But Theo just smiled down at me, his eyes warm with understanding. "Nonsense, sweetheart," he replied softly. "You've had a rough night. Let me take care of you."

I couldn't argue with his logic, so I simply nodded in acquiescence, burying my face against his chest to hide my flaming cheeks. With each step, I could feel the warmth of his body seeping into mine, chasing away the chill of the night and easing the tension that knotted my muscles.