Breaking Step, Chapter 89

Start from the beginning

"I am just that awesome."

"That's not the word I'd use," Don muttered.

"Which is why I'm the one using it. There's nothing the dungeon can do that will—"

The growl reverberated around them, and Tibs smiled, wondering if Sto knew Jackal well enough to have expected the statement and timed the response.

"You do love getting the dungeon to prove you wrong, don't you?" Don asked, chuckling while Jackal looked around fearfully. The sound seemed to come from all around them.

"It's there." Tibs stepped toward the dark alley between two houses.

"Tibs," Jackal warned. "If that's where it is, how about we head in the other direction?"

He stood a dozen paces from the mouth of the alley and crouched, extending a hand. The head became visible, slightly higher than Tibs's at the moment.

"Abyss!" Jackal exclaimed. "Tibs, move aways!"

The dog's growl intensified, its head locking onto the fighter as it stepped fully into the light And Jackal yelped, stepping back.

It was big, Tibs had to admit. If he stood, its shoulders would reach his stomach, and it had to mass as much as he did, at least. It was beautiful, with its black fur shimmering copper. He wondered if he could bring it out for Serba.

"Here, boy," Tibs said, reaching into his pouch. The dog's attention snapped back to him and it bared teeth. "Are you hungry?" He pulled the jerky out.

The growl broke with a whine as it tilted its head.

"Tibs..." Jackal warned.

"I guess he doesn't feed you much, do he? Here, take it."

It sniffed the air, then took a tentative step forward.

"Is it listening to him?" Mez asked in dismay.

"It's okay," Tibs said. "I'm not going to hurt you."

It took another slow step.

"Tibs, you won't be able to—"

It stopped and growled at the fighter.

"Okay, okay. I'm staying out of it!"

"So," Don mused. "All dogs hate Jackal and love Tibs?"

It sniffed again and took another hesitating step.

"This is such a bad idea," Jackal whispered.

With the next step, its nose touched the chunk of jerky, and it sneezed, then looked at him with...worry? Tibs didn't move, and it leaned forward, closing its teeth on it. When it pulled, Tibs kept hold of it. A whine escaped as he looked at him.

"Stay," Tibs said, trying to match Serba's less angry way of ordering her dogs.

He let go, and the dog continued watching him. It tightened its jaw, and the jerky shattered. He reached for it as it chewed. "You're a good dog too, aren't you?" his hand pressed against the side of its head.

"What is he doing?" demanded a deep voice, resounding from all around him.

Tibs tensed in surprise, and the dog whined.

"I think that's called petting," Sto answered uncertainly.

"I know what it's called," the voice replied angrily. "How isn't it tearing him apart? Is this another one of the ways you're being soft on these people?"

"I'm not being soft on anyone," Sto replied defensively. "I don't know why he can do that. It's not like I can ask him, is it?"

Tibs forced his hand to relax and rubbed the dog's neck as it licked the pieces off the ground.