Breaking Step, Chapter 43

"That's the hero?" a young man a few years older than Lamberto sneered as he stepped forward. "He's so... small." He was more than a head taller than Lamberto, and broader in a way that said fighter to Tibs. His jacket was fine leather, red with gold and black trim, and emeralds adorning it. His element was Water, and like Lamberto, he was barely Upsilon.

Three others stood behind him in such a way that they could be a Runner team, with the fighter as their leader. The woman wore sorcerer's golden robes, that matched her eyes, with black trim. The man on her left had Metal as his element, but with so many more spots of darkness than the others in the room, Tibs would trust him even less than them. The one on her right had Light.

They, and Lamberto, shared dirty blond as the color of their hair.

"Palden," Lamberto said in a chastising tone. "It isn't the size of someone that determines their valor."

Palden gave Lamberto an amused look. "And isn't that fortunate for you?" The three others, who were closer in height to the fighter, shared a chuckle while the adults looked on.

Great. Tibs was going to be used in nobles validating their egos.

"I heard you burned down part of the city," the metal user said, his gaze calculating.

"Look at my eyes," Tibs replied sharply before he thought better of it. He was supposed to be nice to them. Not that nobles would ever make that easy on him.

The man snorted. "There's other ways to burn things down," the man said in a tone that implied experience with that.

"How does a boy like you claim the title of hero?" the sorcerer asked in a snide tone. "Let alone of the dungeon?" She looked at the light user. "How does one become the hero to a dungeon? Why would anyone want that?"

"It's savior, Gabrielle," he replied. "But I wonder the same. Why would anyone save one of those things?"

"So we can train," Lamberto stated. "Do you want to go through life barely improving? That's what going to happen without a dungeon."

"That's what the guild wants us to think," the man replied. "So they'll continue to lord them over us. We shouldn't be paying them for the honor of training here. They should beg us to honor them with our presence. They're just—"

"Perhaps you should be mindful of what you say about our host, Carlan," a man dressed in gray said, joining them, "when in the presence of their representative." He was the Epsilon earth user Tibs had sensed. He bowed to Tibs. "I am Theodore Galdain. I bid you welcome to my new home; and pray you'll forgive my children. The need to move has been a strain on them."

"I'm sure it has," Tibs replied as neutrally as he could. There was no light on the man's words, so the need was real.

"And why, Father," Palden said, "did the guild send th—him, instead of someone meaningful?"

"Because he'll be taking us through the dungeon!" Lamberto exclaimed joyfully.

Palden looked at his father. "Is he serious?"

"Yes. Your brother was quite enamored with the idea after that bard's songs."

"You agreed with something the Lamb suggested?" The tone made it clear he doubted the wisdom in that. Lamberto bristled at the nickname. And Tibs's mood darkened at the idea there was a bard out there singing about him.

"Tibs's team is among the few original ones still around. And beyond the titles he gained from saving the dungeon and protecting the city, he was the first to unlock the door to the second floor, as well as discover the shortcuts that let the Runners bypass the floors they have already mastered. So yes, I believe Tibs is a good choice."