Part 19

Jiang Yi Ming's troubles were about to find him.

My troubles had also found me.

The next morning, I silently stared at Xu Zhen, dusty and tired, standing at the door.

My cat was lying inside playing with its tail, adorably silly and utterly useless as a watchdog. The stranger was already at the door.

"Little Cheng," he spoke first, "long time no see."

I looked at him and replied, "Long time no see."

"Can I come in?" he asked.

I replied calmly, "Sorry, I'm not welcoming you."

Xu Zhen's haggard face was genuine, and I knew it wasn't easy for him to come here, but what did that have to do with me?

He said, "Little Cheng, I've called you many times this year, and I've looked for you many times. Your mother and father are also very worried about you..."

I cut him off, "So worried, did you call the police?"

Isn't a person disappearing for a year enough to call the police?

Xu Zhen choked up.

I naturally knew why; my parents were worried that if they reported it, my identity would no longer be a secret. Gossip about the wealthy is sometimes more persistent than that about celebrities.

Or maybe in their eyes, my disappearance for a year was just a tactic.

Look, they still found me now.

Xu Zhen opened his mouth and after a long pause said, "Little Cheng, come back with me."

"Brother Xu Zhen, forget it," I said, "there's nothing between us anymore."

"Little Cheng, calling off an engagement isn't something you can just say and it's done," Xu Zhen took a step forward, "you know, I treat Little Ming as a brother, I've known him since we were kids, it's different between you, him, and me."

I bent down to pick up the cat, then looked at Xu Zhen, sighed:

"Brother Xu Zhen, I'm just living in the village, not cut off from the internet, do you know how popular your ship with Jiang Yi Ming is online?"

Regardless of whether there was anything ambiguous between Xu Zhen and Jiang Yi Ming, he had allowed the other's overstepping.

The online buzz about Xu Zhen and Jiang Yi Ming, two wealthy heirs joining forces, is well known even to someone who doesn't care about them like me.

"Brother Xu Zhen, why are you here?" another voice sounded, and I saw Jiang Yi Ming walking over, their program crew was still shooting, so he was naturally still there.

I really didn't want to see these people, a real nuisance first thing in the morning.

There was no one following Jiang Yi Ming today.