22

Nyx's pov

Adonis and I stared in silence at the man greedily digging into a bowl of food we had bought for him.

Adonis stared at me with a raised eyebrow, silently questioning me on who's the strange man infront of us.

I cleared my throat and leaned forward slightly. "Uh Adonis this is Detective Reed. He was the one who investigated me."

He nodded in a sudden sense of realization and turned back to face the man who was now looking at him.

"That your boyfriend?" the detective spoke as he passed a napkin over his mouth.

I coughed, suddenly choking on air. "Uh no, he's just a friend from school." I drank some water.

He nodded and set his empty bowl aside.

"So, uhm," I started, cautiously picking my next words, "what were you doing on the streets like that?"

He sniffed and scratched at his chin. "Hm.."

I tilted my head as I waited for an answer.

"Your school, it's something else.."

What?

I turned to Adonis with furrowed brows.

"What do you mean?" he leaned forward, placing his elbows on the table as he stared intently at the detective.

"I uh..I couldn't just give up the death of that little girl. I kept investigating, chief found out, and I got fired." he sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. "That uh, that school is-"

"Corrupted? We know." Adonis cut in and drank from a bottle of water he'd ordered.

"Yeah we've...we've been doing some investigations of our own."

At my words his head snapped to me, eyes widened by shock. "You what?..."

"Yeah, we've found quite a lot of information."

"Get rid of it."

"What?" I sputtered.

"Why should we?" Adonis asked from beside me, raising one of his perfectly shaped eyebrows as he stared at the detective.

"It's too dangerous to have it, the police.. hell, they're as bad as the school, corrupt. They work for the school so taking it to them will just expose yourselves, and just having it hanging around increases the chance of getting caught."

I mulled over his words, the words he said, they made sense.

The police will just destroy the evidence, and the school, they'll destroy us.

After a moment of silence, Adonis spoke, "What if we somehow spread that information around, maybe by rumors?"

"Rumors can always be traced back. We need something more."

I bit my nails as I thought of what we should do.

"Well uh, I've got to get going, thanks for the food and this is my number, call me if anything happens." Detective Reed spoke before slipping a call card on the table and leaving.

I grabbed the piece of paper and slipped it into my pocket, before turning back to Adonis.

"What should we do then?" I sighed and passed a hand across my face. "We have everything we could possibly need to put those wretched people behind bars but we can't do anything becuase they've got power." 

A scoff sounded from my mouth as I leaned back against the wooden chair of the food place, arms crossed Infront of me.

"We're not giving up Sinclair, not at all. "

"Then what can we do Adonis? You've heard the detective."

He looked as distraught as me, eyebrows furrowed and lips pointed down.

Wait-

"Oh my God.." realization suddenly hit me, it had been under my nose all along.

"Adonis, I think I've got it."

"What have you gotten Sinclair?"

"Well, I found an article a while back, about the school and it got me thinking, what if we told a publishing company, pay them to write an article about the school?"

"Yeah right." he let out a half scoff, half laugh. "As if any author will be crazy enough to write an article about Aldmoor."

"Then...what if we did it?"

His eyes went wide, and he spun his head to face me so quick I'm surprised he didn't get whiplash. "What?" he asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, we can make a public blog where we expose the school."

"What if we get caught?"

"If we get caught then that will mean the blog has been seen, which means it'll have to be popular first, if its popular and parents are complaining about the school their children attend.."

"Then the police will have no choice to make an arrest and start an investigation." he finished with a sudden realization.

I nodded. "The school gets its power and money from the parents anyway, without that, they're nothing."

"Gee Sinclair that brain really does works."

I laughed at his remark and got up. "Well then, should we get started?"

"We should" he got up with a smirk and we headed to the library.

>>>

I glanced at Adonis as I had finished up the making of the blog.

"What should we write for the first article?" I asked as I stared at the screen, the text cursor blinking repeatedly.

"Maybe we should start off with something easy, just mention the bribes for now."

I nodded and began working, my fingers moving rapidly against the keyboard as I typed.

The room was blanketed in a comforting silence, save for the clicking of the computer keys.

After an hour I had finally finished. I stretched lightly as Adonis proofread the article. "Is it good?"

"It's great." he chuckled "It sounds professional Sinclair."

I smirked and turned back to the screen. "Good."

"Is Aldmoor really as prestigious as they claim to be? Or is it another corrupt school for the rich"

I read the title with a smug grin. 

"Author N/A."

I clicked the publish button with a smirk.

There it was, our very first article, and the beginning of the end.

...