:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

            “Oh my god, ew,” Lance commented, wrinkling his nose. “What is up with all you girls have crushes on older men?”

            Jeremy sighed dreamily. “I just can’t help it… They’re like, totally manly, unlike you, Lance.”

            He rolled his eyes. “Please, spare me.”

            Suddenly there was a sharp shout of pain from the other side of the gym. Jeremy’s head immediately snapped in the direction. I followed his gaze, my eyes landing on a student lying on the ground with other students starting to surround him. My lips turned up in amusement when I realized it was Aaron on the floor. Lexi bounded over to him looking worried. After a few moments Jeremy started toward him too. I pushed myself off the ground too— I wasn’t going to miss the chance of giving Aaron a taunting look while he was sprawled out of the floor.

            “Aaron, are you okay?” Lexi asked, squatting down next to her brother. “What happened?”

            “I just tripped,” he responded roughly, looking away from her. “I’m fine.”

            “Let me help you up—”

            He slapped her hand away. “No. Go away.”

            “Hey,” I protested, scowling at him. “Don’t hit your sister.”

            “Stay out of it,” he snapped at me.

Using his hands, he pushed himself up to his feet. A grimace of pain crossed his face and when he tried to take a step forward, he pulled his weight of his left leg, sending him toppling to the side. Jeremy easily caught him. “Are you okay?”

He pushed away from Jeremy. “I’m fine! Ow,” he hissed, putting his weight on his foot again.

Jeremy frowned. “You should probably go to the nurse. Someone will have to walk with him. Lance, will you—”

“No.”

Aaron smirked, his eyes landing on me. “Holly will help me. Right, Holly?”

I gave him a flat look. I didn’t want to help him, but he was asking in front of everyone. “If I have to.”

“I can take him,” Jeremy interjected, shooting a dirty look at Aaron. “Holly, you should stay here—”

“You’re the teacher,” Aaron cut him off, looking smug. “You can’t leave. Hand me off to Holly. She can handle it. She’s a big girl, isn’t she, Mr. Ross?”

He scowled. “Fine. Here, Holly.”

Reluctantly, I dragged myself forward. Aaron wasted no time in wrapping a strong arm around my shoulder and putting more weight than necessary on me. It took all I had to hold him up and stay on my feet under it all. I wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of me sinking under him. We headed for the gym door, him hobbling and me struggling to stay upright. Fortunately for me, the nurse’s office was just down the hall. At least I didn’t have to drag him across the whole school.

“So,” he started as soon as we were out in the empty hallway. “How’s your relationship with Mr. Ross?”

“Fine,” I grunted.

“And with Mr. Heywood?”

I shot him a glare. “We have no relationship.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Really? Since when are you guys not friends?”

“We’re still friends,” I responded with a sigh.

“Has he confessed his love for you yet?”