Chapter 6

The storm raged on unceasing, winds an endless dirge susurrating through lightless halls. Within those crumbling fortifications, the ravages crept deeper than any tempest could reach. As days blurred and consciousness bled, the line between reality and nightmare thinned to a gossamer thread ready to snap.

Charlotte struggled from haunted dreams to find Sam at her side, feverish skin damp and eyes aglow with visions dancing behind wrinkled lids. Was this place leeching sanity from them piece by piece? When not even solid hands could dispel creeping dread, what anchor could remain?

She drifted the echoing corridors as muted specters, scouring sustenance that no longer nourished. Even Liam attended the lantern mechanically, gaze veiled as if tracking phantoms beyond their ken. Only Emily retained that serene perceptiveness, yet even her smiles held shadows and fingers traced sigils on fogged windows.

Time stretched beyond measure, each tick of the clock a deathknell for fractured minds. Reality itself fragmented, reassembled by feverish imaginings. Nights bled into days into an endless twilight bereft of markers or escape. When rational thought proved barren soil for weeds of madness to thrive unchecked, what paths remained but those leading down?

Figures stalked the peripheries, just shy of clarity. Faces stared through misty panes with eyes cut from tears in the fabric between worlds. Voices echoed, distorted beyond translation yet resonating with uncanny familiarity in the deepest recesses of memory and nightmare.

Phantasms tormented in graphic detail each private haunt, plucking fears from the abyss and weaving gruesome puppetry before unseeing eyes. Darkness pressed in, oozing from corners and condensing in tangible shadows dancing a lambent waltz beyond mortals' ken. Only Emily maintained that eerie serenity, lips shaping words in elder tongues and hands dancing sigils in the fog to hold the tide at bay.

Nathan deteriorated visibly, reduced to a wavering candle guttering in the storm-force winds. Even Liam's endurance faltered, stubble darkening sallow cheeks and gaze darting at each creak of settling timber. Only Emily remained untouched, channel for entities beyond their sphere of understanding.

In the vanishing distance separating dream from dreamstate, was this haunted place leaching souls little by little? Or were they losing themselves to madness, poisoned by creeping delusions seeping from stone seams saturated over eons? As the outer tempest merged with inner chaos, how long could fragile reason hold sway against such relentless tides flowing from beyond?

Darkness pressed ever closer as material anchors were ground to dust. With each tick of the clock another death knell, would dawn ever break this nightmare or drown them all in the primal anarchy of a spirit realm slipping its shackles ? For now all they could grasp was Emily's steady litany and the guttering fire, flickering metronome counting down their fragile sanity before the void.