four

"Hey, Maddie?" Mackenzie asked as I trudged up the stairs.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"Can you help me put together a really good outfit? As in like a really good one?"

"Sure," I decided. Kenzie has always been the nerdy one (except with English), so she always focuses more on schoolwork than clothes. Yes, my mom does buy her tons of cute clothes, she just hasn't figured out how to make good outfits out of all of them yet.

Mackenzie skipped back into her room as I finished walking up the steps. Turning to the left into Mackenzie's room, I made a beeline for her closet. "So, what's the special occasion?" I asked, searching through her clothes.

"I, um, I just wanted to look good for once I guess," she stuttered, hopping onto her bed.

I turned around and raised my eyebrow, which made Mackenzie blush. "Spill," I ordered.

"Spill what?" she asked, playing dumb.

"You know what I mean," I told Mackenzie.

While I turned back to her closet, Mackenzie told me her story. "Well, there's this boy. His names Matthew, but everybody calls him Matt. I kinda had a little crush on him, but then it came to be more than that. A few days ago, the 'popular' girl in my grade, started dating him. I'm not going to tell you all the details about what I did after, but now I want to look really good tomorrow to make Matt jealous. Oh, by the way, he's super cute. You wanna see a picture? I have tons."

"You stalk him?" I asked. Mackenzie blushed and I said, "Nevermind, when I was in seventh grade that's what I did too. I was so hopeless," I sighed.

"Did you find an outfit while I was talking or do we need to go shopping?" Kenzie wondered.

"Well, you do have some pretty cute clothes in here, but not what I'm looking for. Do you mind going shopping?"

"Nope!" she answered.

"Okay, let's ride our bikes, there's a Forever 21 a little ways away," I responded.

Tilting her head, Mackenzie questioned, "What the heck is Forever 21?"

"It's a store that you should be shopping at by now," I explaned.

"Whatever, we need to go!" Kenzie exclaimed. With me trailing behind, Mackenzie flew downstairs.

When I reached the bottom, I called out, "Mom, Kenzie and I are going shopping for a while, is that okay with you?"

"It's fine, just be back by six," my mom answered.

Checking the time, I noticed that it was five-thirty. Only half an hour?

I rushed outside where I found Mackenzie waiting on her bike. "I'm glad you chose to come today," she stated.

"I didn't take long at all!" I replied, pulling my bike out from behind my mom's bike. Mom doesn't ever use her bike, so I don't really know why it's even in front of mine.

"Yeah, whatever," Kenzie said. Rolling my eyes, I jumped on my bike.

"And we have to hurry up, 'cause we only have until six, which is only half an hour," I informed Mackenzie, dashing past her.

"Oh geez, hurry up then!" she shrieked. She pedaled faster and zoomed past me. Pedaling faster, I caught up with Kenzie.

It took a while, but we made it to Forever 21. Pulling out my phone, I noticed that we only had fifteen minutes to shop. "Oh no," I moaned, walking through the double doors.

"What's wrong?" Kenzie asked.

"Hello! Welcome to Forever 21, van I help you find anything today?" a perky lady greeted.

"No thanks, we're just looking," I answered. Turning back to Mackenzie, I replied, "We only have fifteen minutes to find the perfect outfit."

"Omigosh! Hurry up! I'm helping too now."

Along with Mackenzie, I searched through the racks for the perfect outfit. "How's this?" Kenzie asked, holding up a red and white polka-dotted t-shirt.

"No way," I answered. Spotting a cute shirt, I pulled it out to show Mackenzie. "What about this one?" I asked. It was a black and white striped crop top, almost like the one I have at home.

"Um, I don't know, Maddie," she frowned.

"C'mon, you'll look good in it. It's almost like the one of mine you wore one time," I begged.

"Fine," Mackenzie groaned. "Just find bottoms to go with it."

Since we only have a few weeks left of school and it's getting pretty warm outside lately, I pulled out a black skater skirt to go with it. "What color are your Converses again?"

"White," she plainly stated.

"Perfect," I smiled. "Here, go pay for these," I instructed, handing Kenzie the clothes.

Realizing that I didn't bring any money, I muttered, "Oh shit. Mackenzie! I didn't bring any money."

"Don't worry, I asked Mom if we can go and she gave me her credit card to use," she explained.

"Oh good," I breathed. Mackenzie and I walked up to the cash register and waited in line. When it was our turn, Mackenzie told me to wait for her outside.

"I'll just wait right here," I told her.

"No, you can wait outside for me," she insisted. Annoyed, I headed outside for our bikes. I checked the time on my phone, and we were supposed to be home about fifteen minutes ago.

"Oh great, just great," I muttered under my breath.

Skipping outside, Mackenzie asked in a chirpy voice, "You ready to go?"

"Yep, ready as ever," I responded.

We rode our bikes back home, only to find the worst possible mess ever.

➳author's note➳

so, any thoughts on this chapter?

oh, by the way, did you notice who's playing who? I'm trying to decide if I want to keep those there or not, idk if I like them or not. what do you think of them? (please answer, I want to know your opinion)

I think this book is pretty good compared to my other ones. and did you know I started a rant book? you should go check it out :)
(oops, self promotion lol)

anyways, I hope you all like this update!

xoxo,
dancer634♡