Chapter 25 | Guilty as Sin?

The moon cast a soft, silvery glow over the campgrounds as Emilia made her way back to her cabin. The days had blurred together since her conversation with Lana under the oak tree. The nights were the hardest, with memories of her brother invading her dreams. As she walked, she felt the weight of her grief and the longing for her brother's laughter.

Just as Emilia approached her cabin, a voice called out from the shadows. "Hey, E, over here!"

Startled, Emilia turned to see Violet leaning against a nearby cabin, a mischievous glint in her eyes. Violet had always been known for her rebellious streak, a daring and fearless attitude that set her apart from the rest of the campers.

"Hey," Emilia replied, curiosity piqued. "What's up?"

Violet pushed herself off the cabin wall and sauntered over to Emilia, holding out a pack of cigarettes. "I saw you've been having a rough time lately. Thought you could use a little something to take the edge off."

Emilia hesitated, eyeing the pack of cigarettes. The first time she had vices was when her little brother passed away when her life was really down. Bette doesn't really like the idea of her smoking which is why she stopped. Now, she wasn't sure if it was the right way to cope. "I appreciate it, but I don't smoke... anymore."

Violet grinned, shrugging nonchalantly. "Suit yourself. But you know, sometimes doing something a little wild can help take your mind off things. Trust me, I know a thing or two about that."

Emilia looked at Violet, a mixture of curiosity and uncertainty in her eyes. She knew Violet was the kind of person who embraced risk and challenge, qualities that she had secretly admired from afar. Maybe Violet had a point – perhaps a small act of rebellion could provide a temporary escape from her pain.

With a hesitant smile, Emilia reached out and took the pack of cigarettes from Violet's hand. "Alright, but just this once."

Violet's grin widened. "That's the spirit! Live a little, E."

After that, Emilia headed back to her cabin, hiding the pack inside the pocket of her sweater. She doesn't want her best friend to see that she's smoking again.

As days melted into nights at the camp, Emilia's demeanor began to shift because she saw herself spending time with Lana more often. The weight of her grief seemed to lessen, and her smiles became more frequent. The sun's warmth reflected in her optimism, a transformation not unnoticed by those around her.

Among those who observed the change was Bette. She watched Emilia with a mixture of joy and curiosity. "Hey, Millie," she said one morning during breakfast in the dining hall. "You seem happier lately. Is everything okay?"

Emilia looked at her best friend, her smile genuine. "Yeah, I think I'm finally starting to find some peace. Things are going well for me." Her eyes drag from Bette to Lana, who's eating across the room.

Bette nodded, her eyes filled with understanding. "Well, I'm glad you're feeling better. You deserve it."

As Emilia's days became brighter, so did her newfound connection with Lana. The two continued to engage in their small acts of friendship, finding comfort in the thrill of adventure. However, in the middle of her budding friendship with Lana, Emilia remained cautious around Wilhemina. Memories of her brother's passing and the pain of Wilhemina's past disappearance weighed heavily on her heart, making her hesitant to let her guard down.

One evening, as the sun was setting, Emilia found herself alone, sitting on the porch of their cabin. Most of the campers are playing around or at the lake to spend their time before dinner.