Chapter 21 | Daydreamin'

The weekend has passed, and Emilia is currently in her English period. Her assignment was just returned. She got an A on her work because she got additional points for having Venable sign on her paper and get a picture with her.

The young girl stares at their photograph and gets lost in her thoughts. She remembers Wilhemina's serene eyes and gentle smile as she admires the picture pasted on her assignment.

When the bell rings, Emilia flinches back to reality. The class is over, and her third period is next. As she stepped out of the room, she realized that she spent half of the hour daydreaming over someone.

"Hey, Millie." Bette strides beside Emilia while she's on her way to their biology class. "You look like you have something on your mind. Are you okay?" Her best friend asks after gently bumping her arm.

There is something, or rather someone, on her mind. "I, uh, yeah, I'm fine. It's just another terrible night. I wasn't able to sleep well." Emilia reasoned that her lightheadedness was a result of her lack of sleep.

Well, her stepmom and father were arguing so loud that they could be heard from the basement. "I know what can cheer you up. What about a sleepover at our house?" The brunette young lady clings to her arm while she invites her to their house.

"As much as I want to, I can't, Bette. I need to study for this week's quiz. Plus, they want me to watch Miquel and Iva because it's Irene and Dad's anniversary, and they are going out." A slight audible sigh comes out of Mia's mouth.

They reach the room and sit further back in the class. When Emilia turns her head, Dot is behind them. "What about your stepsisters?" Bette suggested and asked.

Emilia removed her bag and put it on the tiled floor before sitting. "You know that Izabelle is busy with her upcoming wedding, and Iris is busy with college."

"Aww, alright. Maybe next time."

Later that night, Emilia is studying at the dining table. She just finished having dinner with Miquel. Iva is crying from her crib, so Emilia stops scribbling in her notebook and rises to aid the crying baby.

She picks up baby Iva, "Are you hungry? Wait here, I'll get your milk." Mia puts the baby back on the crib once again after she calms her down for a bit. Then, she proceeds to make a warm bottle of milk for Iva.

"Hey, Mickey, buddy? Are you done with your homework?" Emilia walks to the living room while shaking the bottle. Iva was screaming once again, so she hurriedly gave the bottle to the one-year-old baby, and it stopped her from wailing.

Emilia wipes off the tear stains from her cheeks and checks the time on the wall clock, "Mickey, it's time for bed!" She calls her brother once again.

A giggle from the basement caught her hearing, and she went downstairs to check. Miquel is jumping on their bed while holding a stuffed animal. "Get ready for bed, champ." She calmly dictates, and her brother slowly stops leaping.

The baby cries once again, and Emilia dashes upstairs. It turns out that the milk spilled on Iva. She quickly grabs a towel to wipe the milk off her and then picks her up.

A knock on the door made her worried that it might be Irene and her dad. Mia hurriedly sponges off the baby's clothes before going to the front door and unlocking it.

Once she opens the door, she can finally breathe easily again. "Hey, Iris. I thought you were staying at your friend's house." Emilia steps aside as she greets her stepsister.

The other girl looks so glum when she enters the house. "Hey." She walked past the crib and noticed the spilled milk. "What happened here?" Iris drops her bag on the floor and gets a closer look at the baby mattress.