Chapter 19 | right there where you left me

After Dot made a huge confession, you realized a lot of things. Things fall down like puzzle pieces into place. It made some sense that it's not their fault that you can't remember anything, the only one to blame is yourself. However, even if you blame yourself you can't change things the way they were because the damage is already done.

Dot offered a room for you to stay the night.

There was an awkward silence when the morning came because of what happened on the lake dock. She was wasted and you're worried. You're glad that nothing happened between the two of you but just a simple kiss.

You leave the lake house after breakfast. You're planning on apologizing to Bette because you know that you've hurt her when you didn't let yourself hear her explanation. You miss your best friend so much. You've been disconnecting from people lately but you're glad that you're trying to reconnect with some of them.

As you're on your way to your best friend's mansion, you stop by a pastry shop to buy a box of cupcakes, her favorite. It took you a couple of hours to get there because you came from their lake house. So, when you arrive you give your keys to their valet and enter their house.

While on your way to her room, you passed by the sitting room of their house. "(y/n)?" You heard someone call your other name. Your head turned in that direction and you didn't take another step. It was Mrs. Tyler who called you.

"Hey, Mrs. Tyler," You did not notice that she was having tea beside the floor-to-ceiling window. "How are you?" She stands up as you speak. You greet her as well by kissing her cheek to cheek.

Mrs. Tyler takes her seat, "I'm doing well, (y/n), or should I call you Emilia again?" She slightly laughs after her last statement. "Have a seat, join me."

You sit down on the other end of the coffee table while you put down the box over the surface and a maid comes to pour you tea. "Emilia is fine." Stating your original name while putting a lot of honey and cream in your tea and mixing it with a tablespoon. Your left hand lifts the saucer while your right lifts your cup to take a sip of your drink.

"I suppose you're going to visit Bette?" She asks another question while she mixes her tea with the tablespoon. You just nod your head while putting down the dish. "She's upstairs preparing for a meeting, she'll be here soon."

Your gut is telling you something, saying that you better ask her if she knows anything about your past. However, you're timid to ask like a cat got your tongue, you can't even stare right through her eyes. "You really resemble Evangeline." Her words made your eyes connect. You just smile as you're flattered but you're quite bewildered about what she's talking about.

She takes a drink of her hot beverage and releases an inaudible sigh of satisfaction, "This will be the perfect time to tell you these things since we don't do this often." The woman puts the dish down and clasps both hands together in slight enthusiasm. "I know your mother, Emilia, I know her very well given that we've been friends since high school and both our families are wealthy." A soft chuckle comes out of her mouth.

You fix your sitting and slightly lean towards her direction as she's speaking. "You and your mother are alike. Despite her rebellious nature, she genuinely cares about the well-being and feelings of others. When Evangeline and your father ran away together, we didn't see her for twelve years until she called us to meet up. Wilhemina and I meet her up as soon as possible because she said that she needed our help." As soon as you heard that name, your eyebrows lifted in surprise.

"My mother was friends with Wilhemina?" You did not mean to cut her story off because you were startled by what you were hearing.

Her head nods up and down, "Yes, we were best friends but there was something with Wilhemina and your mother before. Wilhemina always cared so much for Evangeline. That is why she was so furious when she found out that your mother and father eloped." Mrs. Tyler is spilling so much that you can't even process them all.