Prologue

Please comment and ☆ ←vote!

□□□

I entered the boxing gym and the smell of sweat and blood immediately entered my nose. I inhaled deeply and sighed with satisfaction.

I know that would seem gross to you, but this was my second home!

I set my school bag down at the corner and jogged to the ring. I jumped up on it and grabbed a hold of the ropes, as I watched two guys spar with each other. It was my friend, Daniel and my coach, Marco.

Daniel threw a left hook, but Marco easily blocked it with his right arm and swung his left arm to side of Daniel's face. Daniel ducked and tackled Marco to the ground, holding him in an arm lock. I began to giggle.

"Danny, this is not WWE, we're boxing!" Marco complained.

"Say, uncle."

"No."

Danny tighten the arm lock. "Just say it and you'll be free."

Danny looked up and smiled at me. "Hey, Aaliyah! You're just in time to see me make coach beg for mercy. This is go-"

Danny suddenly paused, as coach reversed himself and placed Danny in an arm lock. He then poked Danny's face, which was smashed on the ground. "What do I always tell you? Never keep your guard down, not even for a second!" Marco yelled sternly. "Now, you say uncle."

I laughed even harder, because this whole time I knew Marco was letting Danny think he was beating him.

"Fine, uncle!" Danny scoffed harshly.

Marco released him and laughed. "You see mija, that's why I think you're a better student than him." Coach Marco joked, smiling. I entered the ring and gave him a high-five.

"Thanks, but soon I'm gonna surpass you." I proudly stated.

He patted my head. "You know, I can actually believe that, Aaliyah. You're a real kid prodigy."

"Thanks." I beamed, smiling widely. Marco nodded and left with Danny to grab a sip of water before we began my practice.

□□□

I sat down on the bench that was right outside the gym. I finished practice a while ago and my parents still haven't came to pick me up. I wonder what's taking them so long?

The gym door opened and Marco came out. "Hey, mija you still here; Where are your parents at?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. They should've been here a long time ago."

He picked up my bag for me and walked over to his jeep. "Come on, I'll take you home. It's getting dark. "

I nodded and got in the passenger seat. Marco's car was seriously the coolest. I loved how the wind blows in my face when we cruise down the rode in his jeep. It's one of the most refreshing feelings ever.

"You hungry?" Marco asked, as we stopped at a red light.

I was really tired and all I wanted to do was go home and sleep. "Nah, I'm good."

But, my stomach argued differently with a loud growl. "Yeah, I'm gonna grab us some junk food." he chuckled and made a U-turn.

□□□

"Thanks, Marco." I smiled, as I dug into my burger and fries.

"No problem, mija!" he replied, as he took a sip of his ice tea.

We made the second to last turn and finally neared my neighborhood. "Hey, looks like there's some party going on. Like, someone is playing with firecrackers." I commented.