Chapter 8

The Queens spring picnic was in full swing, eligible suitors roamed the gardens, and mothers and their daughters promenaded for husbands. As the children played in the flowers, and other guests bathed in the sun, soaking in that spring was in full bloom, the Duchess sat by the queen's tent entertaining the eager men of London. This however didn't go unnoticed by a particular gentleman, a one Viscount Anthony Bridgerton, who watched on at the girl who had dazzled the ton.

"In the halls of Aubrey Hall, where whispers dance on air,
There's a silly song that sangs with the utmost care.
For summer has arrived and so the feasts begin ,
A melody so sweet a soft, its sure to make you grin.

In the fields blooming with wisteria so fair,
Where the scent of flowers fills up the air,
There's a silly song whispered by the breeze,
You can hear it in the buzzing of the bees."

In the heart of the English countryside, laughter could be heard from the halls of Aubrey hall, as a young Evienne danced and sang the rhyme through the halls, Anastasia and Daphne all hand in hand. The three girls were lost in song, as they turned the corner and Evienne bumped straight into Anthony.

Evienne was always slightly intimidated by the Bridgeton brothers, in all the grandeur. They were held in such esteem that she felt belittled in their presence upon first meeting them, though now her option had greatly changed. Still Anthony scared Evienne as he stood tall over her, "here, let me help you up" Anthony reached for her hand as Daphne and Anastasia scattered away not wanting to be told off by the eldest bridgeton.

"Are you three still singing that silly song you made up" he asked as the two walked to the back entrance where everyone else gathered. "Of course my lord, we shall never stop, it signifies summer arriving and our time here at Aubrey hall" the girl offered back, to which he chuckled slightly.

The girl was fascinating, she wasn't poised and proper like most young girls, but wild and free and wasn't afraid to be herself. "Time I truly hope never ends, don't you my lord", "yes, don't we all wish to stay kids forever with little responsibility. And I must insist you stop calling me lord, I have known you since you were little, are we not friends", "of course we are Anthony". This was the first time she had seen Anthony smile in some time, that was the summer his father had died, and he was never really the same.