Chapter 5

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought after invitation indeed. For every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Titled, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight we will discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as the spinster.

Evienne was a bundle of nerves as continued to straighten her dress, riding in her carriage waiting for her arrival at Lady Danbury's ball. She hadn't seen any of her old friends, nor was she sure anyone but the Queen was aware that she would be here, but still she didn't pay that any mind. She intended to show the ton who she had become on her many years away.

A soft melody of the string quartet played in the background as the ball was well underway, bustling young debutantes and even more eager mammas showered the dance floor, dance cards in hand. The ballroom aglow with the warm flicker of thousands of candles, as the pastel palette of florals draped across the walls.

The ballroom was filled with many guest, among them was the Bridgertons. Anthony Bridgeton was escorting his younger sister Daphne dismissing any young suitor that made a gesture towards her. As the floor continued to fill, the Queen made her entrance and by her side, like a vision descending down the stairs of heaven, the returning debutante stepped into the room. Her head held high as the Queen gestured a slight nod her way, both ladies commanding the room. It was not just the unknowing arrival of the newly Duchess, but it was the grace and beauty that she moved with that captivated the assembled crowd.

As she continued down the floor, suitors vied for her attention, in the hopes that she might meet their gaze and allow them a dance that evening. As they continued forth to greet their hostess for tonights festivities, reaching Lady Danbury and greeting her. The Queen assuring with a wave that the ball shall continue, and so it did, the mingling reverted but not without the new whispers. And especially not without the stares, particularly from a certain family.

"My dear, I was so sorry to hear about the passing of your younger sister, a most gentle soul" lady Danbury greeted Evienne, her hands embracing hers as she returned the smiled, "thank you, I was most thankful to receive your invitation to this wonderful ball, I thank you for propelling my societal prospects this season". "Yes well, although I am honoured, I am just as shocked, your presence at tonights festivities was unknown to all, well I assume at least most" she grinned towards Queen Charlotte, who returned the favour. "Yes well, I made Lottie promise my return be kept secret, I couldn't handle the overwhelming nosiness of the ton, and their ceaseless offers of condolences" Evienne offered as the three women continued to mingle as they made their rounds through the ballroom.

"My goodness mamma, I can't believe Evienne has returned, and after all this time, we must go greet her and offer her our condolences" Daphne insisted to her mother as the family still all looked in a slight state of shock at the return of their old friend. "Yes indeed my dear, it will give us a moment alone to discuss through the eligible bachelors present tonight so you might fill up your dance card".

"Nonsense, I am sure the Duchess would far appreciate your badgering another day, I am sure all the other mothers have already flocked to her. It is time we head home, there is no one of prospect here for you Daphne." Anthony spoke in a well mannered but commanding tone as he escorted his family away, hiding his shock as he watched the newly returned debutante that he hadn't seen her since she was just a young girl. Though now he saw something different, a beautiful young woman, who too knew the pain and grief he felt at such a young age.