Chapter 2

She had waited that Friday for her sisters letter to arrive, her sisters 13th birthday was a mere few months away, she wondered if her sister too would come and attend her school like she did at that age. Or maybe if they would reunite as Evienne neared her 18th birthday and her debut into the marriage market. Though neither came to be, her letter never arrived.

But instead on that following Monday, word reached Evienne that her dear sister had fallen ill, and had passed quite suddenly in her sleep. That the sickness had taken all the doctors by surprise and that Evienne was summoned to return home.

Evienne's father had passed a few years prior, they said it was a failure in his heart, but Evienne always believed that his heart had finally return back to his other half, that too much time had passed since being with his dear wife.

She had contemplated back then returning home to be with her sister after her fathers passing, but decided against it, knowing she was only doing a disservice to her sister and father by leaving her training unfinished.

But now the time had come to return home, to see her sister off. One final goodbye. It was as if she felt her heart actually shatter within her chest, that once she felt the beating presence, now was hollow.

Goodbye my dear Anastasia, if only it didn't feel unbearable at every waking moment. That I must remind myself this pain, this grief is a reminder of you being here, your love persisting past the laws of nature. This deep pain only a sister such as I would understand and feel so deeply, feel with my entirety. It as if my whole being only consists of the emptiness that once was filled with sisterhood. I claim sisterhood so deeply but how can I be a sister without one, how can I call myself one without my counterpart, how can a half be whole without the other half. Am I to forever be incomplete, constantly desiring for something that can never be fulfilled again.

Evienne had returned home in haste, packing away her belongings and sending for a carriage as she made the long journey home. Was it truely worth it, all this work just to loose sight of what life was truly about. Loosing all the time she had left with her loved ones. If this were always what was destined to be, she regretted the way she spent each moment of her life, longing to only go back and spend each day, whatever time she had left with her father and sister, but she had lost her way.