4. Ramen

Ki Seok's POV

As soon as we enter my apartment, Seo Joon stops to stare at my life size poster.

"Do you find it that good?" I ask amused. I feel the need to give more information. "It is one of my earliest pictures. I had just started my career, I must have been 21 when it was taken. Girls went crazy when they saw this poster. It holds a lot of importance in my career." I grin, waiting for a response.

Unexpectedly, he does respond. "Hmm." That's it. It sounded so dismissive that I wonder if he even heard what I said.

"Sit while I make the ramen." I beckon towards the sofa.

He shakes his head. "Wait,", he says, holding my arm, "I will make it for you. You can have it. I will leave after that." He lets go of my arm when I look towards it. He excuses himself and makes his way to the kitchen.

He takes off his jacket and places it on the high chair. He rolls his shirt sleeves. I can see the veins on his toned arms. I gulp, but quickly recover.

"Do you even know where the things are kept?" I tease him.

"You are a bachelor, I assume, so there won't be too many things anyway. And I am used to cooking for my family. Don't worry." Saying so, he opens a couple of drawers, finds a pot, and puts the water to boil. Next he opens the refrigerator and takes out eggs and cheese.

I sit on the dining table admiring how efficient he is. He is dexterous- he knows what he is doing, and does it well. He cracks the egg like a chef would. In a short while, the ramen is ready. He transfers it to a bowl, grabs some side dishes, and brings me everything on a plate.

"Eat up." Seo Joon says, pushing the plate towards me.

"Why don't you have some?" I insist. He refuses.

I start eating. Ramen never tasted so delicious. Is it because I have company or because Seo Joon has made it? I am lost in my thoughts when he starts speaking. I look at him.

"Do you always have ramen for dinner? You didn't have much for lunch either." He sounds worried. It is not a part of his job to cook for me or wait on me. His earlier cold behavior seems to have disappeared. It is confusing. I don't really know how I should respond. But I decide to go with the flow.

"Not always, but most days. I love fried chicken and jjajangmyeon. Gang Tae would get it for me. Also all my side dishes are readymade. I have not had homemade meal in a long time." I am surprised at how easily I am opening up in front of this guy whom I met just this morning.

He observes me for a while and makes an offer- "My father runs a restaurant. If you want I can bring something for you." I am perplexed, so he adds quickly, "That is if you don't mind. Please don't feel burdened." I can sense his hesitation.

This guy is going from hot to cold in no time. At times, it feels like he is genuinely worried. At others, he seems like a sheet, no, a block of ice, a whole iceberg. Is he playing games? I doubt. He does not have a reason to. I need him to protect me. I am ashamed to admit that I am a coward. But I cannot say that aloud. I have finished the meal in no time.

He clears the table for me. Washing the dishes, he wear his jacket. "I'll leave now."

I suddenly remember I don't have his contact details. I stop him. "Seo Joon, I need your contact details. How are we to communicate otherwise?" I am holding his elbow now. He just stares there; I take it as a sign to take my hand away.

He nods and removes his cell from his pocket. We exchange numbers. He puts the phone back in his pocket and starts towards the door.

"Why don't you have a look at my apartment." I stop him again, albeit keeping a distance between us.