3. Jitters

Seo Joon's POV

We have reached the parking lot. It has taken every ounce of my sanity to remain calm in the confined space of the lift. I was barely breathing in that tiny space. I heave a sigh of relief when someone approaches us and introduces himself to me as Bae Joong In's driver.

I realize that attack  would be the best defense. I can't let my feelings of uncertainty get the better of me, when what I am doing is a part of my job- what I may call a mission. Yes, a mission. My outlook and approach towards this entire charade has to change. It would be better for my own self

The driver hands me the car keys and smile. "I have brought Ki Seok's car from his apartment. You will drive that to his shoot. His home address is already stored in the GPS." Turning to Ki Seok now, he continues, "Gang Tae insisted that I bring your car, so that things would look normal when you go for the shoot. If people do inquire about him, please tell that he has met with an accident and would be resting for a while, and so the agency assigned you a new manager. Don't reveal anything. Nothing."

I am touched by what I have just heard- his manager, with a fracture enough to be operated upon, lying in the hospital, is worrying about him. Ki Seok is one lucky guy and he'd better know that. There are so many people who are trying to protect him. And although there are people who want to harm him equally well, I hope they fail miserably. Perhaps being hated is a part of his job too.

I press the unlock button on the key and one of the many similar looking black cars unlocks. I bow to Joong In's driver and head towards the car, memorizing the number of it. These are basic things for a manager to do, and even if a manager doesn't do it, a cop must. Ki Seok is right behind me. I pause for a second to take a good look at the parking lot, just in case, and he bumps into me. "Can't you keep some distance?", I tell him with an irritated look on my face. Offence is the best defence, I figure out.

He looks at me perplexed. "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.", he says in a meek voice.

I get into the driver's seat and Ki Seok sits behind me. As he shuts the door—something that I should have ideally done for him— I ask him, "How do you want me to address you?"

Ki Seok shrugs. "That depends on who is older."

"I was born in 1995."

He keeps looking at me through the rear view mirror for a while before speaking in a contemplative voice. "No way. You must be joking. You don't look your age. I thought you must be 25." He waits for a response which I don't give. "By the way, I am 29 too. We are the same age I think, but I am surely older by a few months. Call me hyung."

"How can you be so sure?" I retort. "Tell me your birthday." I already know his birthday- it is the same as mine. But he doesn't have to know that. I have to play the tsundere here and remain unaffected by him. And while I think I am off to a good start, I don't know if I will be able to put on the façade until the very end.

"22nd June. That's my birthday.", he says.

"Mine is the same," I tell him. I can see his mouth open in disbelief. Anymore, and his jaw would drop on the floor.

"No way."

I sigh. I take out my wallet and present to him my driving license. He keeps staring at me and the driving license alternately. He finally hands it back to me.

"Since we are the same age, you can call me by my name." I can see a smile forming on his lips as he says that.

"You don't seem disappointed that we are the same age. I thought it must be important for you to be in a senior position." I tease him.