Chapter 14

I heightened my senses as much as possible. Every little thing mattered. Hearing the softest sound, seeing the tiniest speck of dirt, smelling the earthly scent of the ground, and feeling the rough terrain in which we ran through. They all mattered. But it wasn't enough, not enough with my current energy, and my current magic. My body still wasn't at its best but it will have to do for now. There's no guarantee how much I can fight since we didn't know how many vampires were there but I'm sure that with just a push, I can take them on. I have to, Amethyst was with me, I have to protect her and the girl.

Amethyst and I continued running through the forest. We were quite far from the waterfall already but since Amethyst didn't stop running, I didn't either. I trusted she knew what she was doing, after all, she's not just a human anymore.

We kept running for what seemed like forever until Amethyst suddenly pointed in front of us and exclaimed, "There! We're almost there! She's unconscious!"

"Fuck!" I cursed once more as I felt my legs almost giving up but I ignored it and continued to run.

Had I known that something like this would occur today, I would've eaten something, anything. But who would have known that vampire rogues were still roaming around in the vampire kingdom? Rogues would usually stay in the kingdom of a different kind so this was a rather unusual situation. But what if they weren't rogues and were just vampire guards disciplining a trespasser? It could be since Vaye wasn't exactly too welcoming with outsiders, just like my sister.

Yet, then again, Amethyst genuinely sounded frightened.. and judging by her actions right now, she's anxious and worried. I guess it's safe to say those vampires were not guards. As soon as we got closer, I was able to hear the vampires laughing amongst themselves whilst the girl was groaning in pain.

But what caught my attention the most was the girl's voice.. fuck, don't tell me. Surprising Amethyst, I ran faster than her and had no time to think, I just pounced on the vampire who was kicking Mallory. Fuck! Why didn't I smell her?! I should've noticed her scent from miles away, why didn't I?!

With not one coherent thought in mind, I landed punches after punches to the vampire I tackled. He was trying hard to evade my hits but unfortunately for him, I was trained better. I heard Amethyst struggling behind me and I cursed under my breath. Without thinking it through, I hurriedly grabbed the rock beside me and didn't say anything as I plunged the rock unto the guy's eye. He screamed and I jumped off of him. Now that he's dealt with, I have to do something about the others.

Amethyst was currently fighting off three vampires at once which explained her struggle whilst three other vampires were getting ready to attack me. Fuck, if I had just eaten something, I could handle them all by myself.. wait, wait a fucking minute.. the candy!

Fortunately, I remembered Weiss' candy and before the vampires could attack me, I quickly took it out from my pocket and devoured it. Just like that, from one tiny candy, my energy was restored and the magic coursing through my veins were as strong as ever. I could only assume that Weiss rigged this candy but I had no time to ponder about it.

I then closed my eyes and quickly mumbled a spell, "Kánte tous na ypoféroun, kánte tous adýnamous."

As soon as I cast the spell, the vampires around me stopped moving, they were frozen in time, just like I wanted them to be. Ignoring everything around me, I quickly kneeled next to Mallory who was still groaning, yet was also unconscious. Her groans were so soft and almost too quiet that I'm surprised I heard her earlier.

I quickly analyzed her body and found that she was suffering from three broken ribs, a dislocated shoulder, a mild concussion, and she's bleeding into her chest cavity due to the upper rib fractures. I didn't think to stop and cry for her, no, I didn't even think to stop and remember her condition, that I shouldn't cast any spells around her. I just didn't think at all.