TEN

𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙚𝙣 :
THE TRUTH BOMB FEELS LIKE A NUKE

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     THEIR NEXT STOP was a gas station.

In front of the building, there were many cars, all broken down.

Cooper stopped next to the bed of the truck, crouching beside the back where there was a pile of blood. He dipped two of his gloved fingers into the puddle and raised the digits, his mouth opening. Quickly, Brynn warned, "Do not fucking lick that."

Cooper stared at her, slowly raising his fingers to his mouth. She watched in horror as he dropped them last second, instead sniffing them. He scrunched his face, saying, "This ain't human."

Brynn watched him stand, asking, "Like a cockroach or something?"

"No." Cooper sniffed fresh air harshly, "Like a ghoul."

Brynn looked at the store, "You think there's anything good inside?"

The man shook his head, "Wouldn't put my money on it. Everything I've seen out here was ransacked fifty years ago, darlin'."

The girl stood still for a moment before blurting, "I'm gonna check anyways."

Cooper watched as she started towards the store, calling after her, "You're really gonna run off without me?"

"Yup." She was practically skipping to the glass door, the glass broken inside onto the ground of the store. It was dark inside.

There was a Nuka Cola box by the door, one that could open for drinks inside. However, as soon as she walked beside it, there was some scratching and whining inside of it. Brynn froze beside it, her hand on her holster as she turned to Cooper. The man had heard the noise and was already beside her.

"Watch out." He ordered, a hand on his gun as he ushered her back. Brynn watched from behind him as he lifted the lid, and relaxed at the sight inside. "No shot," He piped.

Brynn moved forward as he was at ease, it couldn't have been dangerous from his reaction, right? She glanced inside and a wide grin came across her face. Sitting calmly in the middle of the container was none other than the canine they had ditched at the lake.

She turned to Cooper, still smiling widely, "It's fate."

Cooper huffed, "Fate." He grumbled as he stared down at the animal. The dog did the same thing to him, with wide pleading eyes.

The woman turned to the open area around them, observing for any hiding figures, "Who left him in here?"

"My guess would be the other ghoul." The man informed, keeping his eyes on the dog.

Brynn noticed his attention and inquired, "Can we take him?"

Cooper tightened his lips, staring at her pleading expression. Then he turned to the dog, who had the same look. With a sigh, he reached into the container, carefully pulling the dog out of it. "All right Dogmeat. Let's go find your daddy." He spoke to the dog as he placed it on the asphalt. The dog sniffed the ground, turning to their right before the animal began to follow the scent it had caught. "Come on." He ordered Brynn.