PROLOGUE

𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚 :
RED WEDDING DUPE

﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎﹏︎

     BRYNN MACLEAN HAD never fit into Vault 33. Too pessimistic to blend in smoothly with the smiley crowd but not too introverted to hide away during daily events, Brynn stood at a standstill.

It was like she wasn't born to be stuck in the metal box, but it was her home and had been for her entire twenty-three years on the Earth. She couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Besides, she wouldn't be able to leave her family.

Not her sister Lucy and her brother Norman. Despite their similar upbringings, the siblings were quite different.

The oldest, Brynn, cracked jokes at the wrong times and wasn't as focused on the golden rules of the Vault as her peers. Likely why her closest friends were her siblings.

The middle child, Lucy, had the opposite problem. She was friendly and confident, a social butterfly, really. It was as though Lucy had been crafted to be the stereotype of what the children of Vault 33 should want to be when they were older. And despite how bright she shined; Brynn was never jealous of her sister.

Though she loved Lucy with all her heart, Brynn found herself relating to her brother, the youngest sibling, Norman more. Neither truly fit in with their peers and often they were the black sheep of the family. Both shared darker humor, causing them to often tease Lucy.

Her father was a little more debatable. Hank MacLean was a rough man to gain care from, at least in Brynn's eyes. She had always believed that Lucy was his favorite anyway. And today, Lucy was following the hive mind they were born into. In a few minutes, she was to be married to a man from Vault 32 that none in 33 had met.

Even though it wasn't her wedding, Brynn MacLean was even more stressed than her sister was. That didn't mean much, however, as Lucy didn't seem to have an anxious bone in her body. Instead, she stood tall as her dress was tightened, her head high and a pleasant, excited smile crossing her face.

"You look gorgeous." Brynn complimented, smiling as she watched Lucy admire the makeup Brynn had done just an hour ago. It was simple but flattered Lucy's doll-like features.

"Thank you." Lucy turned to her sister, a smile crossing her red-painted lips. Her hands were tight around the colorful bouquet in her hands.

Brynn checked her pipboy, nodding her head as the time lined up at noon. "It's time." She announced to her sister.

"Let's go!" Lucy jumped towards the door in excitement. She had been waiting to be married for years.

Outside in the hallway was one of their closest friends, Steph Harper, waiting. She stood tall; her arms crossed over her pregnant belly. She was a beautiful woman, married almost a year ago, with blonde shoulder-length hair with a curve and wide eyes.

"Are you ready?" Steph inquired as the three began to walk down the hallway.

Brynn looked back at the room, checking the decorations she and Norman had put up in the bright hours of the morning. Not that the light ever fluctuated in the Vault. There were no sunbeams in the morning, no sunset. Only the artificial light acted as a replacement.