‘You all know that full-grown vampires need to drink blood to stay alive. It’s like humans have to eat and drink to stay alive.’ Mr. Gangreen paced up and down in front of the classroom, smiling to himself. ‘For you… young ones, it might take a while before you actually experience bloodlust. You might find yourself walking down the hallway to your next class and suddenly feeling the urge to jump the bones of the person in front of you. Wanting the sweet, warm blood that is being pumped through the veins of that sweet little fairy behind you can be pretty disturbing. Or maybe the neck of the were you are dating suddenly seems a lot more interesting than her eyes, face or even her breasts. That is when you need control. We can’t have you young ones preying on anyone…’

The teacher’s prying eyes roamed the classroom, making every single one of us look up at him with something very close to fear. ‘It’s forbidden to prey on humans, as you all know,’ he continued, ‘and drinking the blood of your friends and classmates doesn’t sound like such a great idea either. The supernatural community needs to be a unity, not a warzone. If we vampires go drinking the blood of other supes, we would soon find ourselves exiles, and for good reason. We wouldn’t want our precious werewolf friends to go and eat our flesh, would we? Well, that is why I need to teach you young ones to control the bloodlust that you are bound to feel one day. You need to be prepared.’

I felt a shiver creep up my spine. This sounded like some serious bad-ass stuff. How strong was this bloodlust thing if the teacher thought it might overcome us?

‘It’s not forbidden to ask questions, Miss Hollow,’ Mr. Gangreen said, looking right at me with his watery blue eyes. ‘Please, go ahead.’

‘I – I didn’t-’ I stuttered stupidly.

‘I’ve been gifted with the power to feel when someone wants to ask a question,’ the teacher explained. ‘It’s not a really cool, kick-ass kind of power, I know, but it comes in quite handy when you are a teacher. I think it might even be the reason I became one in the first place.’

I nodded, feeling like I was caught doing something bad. ‘Well, I was wondering how strong this bloodlust thing is supposed to be. I thought we just needed blood, like humans need food and water. But well, I never heard humans jump a cow for his meat or throw themselves into a river to take a sip of water. So how come we need control over ourselves to be able to handle the fact we need blood?’

A few heads turned in my direction and a faint muttering started.

‘She’s really young,’ the guy in front of me murmured, ‘…who hasn’t experimented with their fangs yet?’

‘I know, it isn’t as if the were girls aren’t willing enough,’ another muttered back.

‘That is a really good question,’ the teacher said sharply, glowering at the rest of the class. ‘Well, bloodlust is fairly strong, but not too strong to be mastered. Most vampires can handle it. Fact is, the closer you are to a source of warm, drinkable blood, the harder it is to control yourself. Therefore, most vampires stay with their own kind, because only other vampires can ever truly understand the craving. Werewolves can sympathize with us, as they crave the meat of humans and supernaturals, but they only ever lose control during the full moon.’

I nodded, I’d heard about that in Supernatural Basics. ‘So we need to control the need. I get it. But what about the things all teachers say? I remember Mr. Hammerhead telling us he’d tasted a few fairies. I thought we weren’t supposed to be drinking the blood of other people. The recommended sources for blood are the blood bank or animals, right?’

‘That’s right.’ Mr. Gangreen nodded appreciatively. ‘But not being supposed to do something doesn’t mean you won’t do it. If the donor is willing –and that excludes mind control, obviously – there isn’t much supernatural laws can do about it if you drink the blood. If you don’t mind me asking: was your vampire father around much?’