Blood Money

All the fantastical monsters we create in our minds, that we play with in our stories and our collective imagination...

I'm reading a book now which shows them very straightforwardly:

"He can be cruel, of course, but, tell me, who isn't? Everyone must be at some point, and everyone does what they can to survive. It's not his fault he needs blood."

Saying it like this, it's so easy to comprehend. Our very society is built on blood.

Everything.

Everything is built on blood.

And, more than that, even now blood is how society functions. How we function. The cheap labor, slave labor, that gives us certain clothing and certain food; electronics, gasoline, theme parks, paper, cars, batteries, makeup: it's all made with human blood, no?

Battered in stench.

Vampires. Succubus. Monsters. Creatures who live off the death of those weaker than them.

"Everyone does what they can to survive."

Cobalt batteries made with the actual blood of humans in Congo.

Clothing that "we can afford because we're broke college students. I know it's bad, but..." and yet it's soaked in the actual blood of humans in China.

From the cheapest cans of tuna to fresh shrimp to delicacies of shark and swordfish, all at the expense of human corpses.

Corpses upon corpses upon corpses

to feed and clothe us,

those who can afford it.

3-18-24

Book: Saturnalia by @VENUSHONEY