6

Haruka was usually below deck when they attacked pirates.

But she was greatly disturbed by the news that the Vice Admiral was not taking an active part in the attack this time. Even very much, because even though Leona often didn't put much effort into the fight, she at least supervised whether everything was going well. Going on deck while they were in the middle of an attack wasn't stupid at all, she tried to convince herself.

Why did she do that?!

She cursed at her idea as she walked quickly across the deck.

Soldiers ran past her, shouting orders. The roar of the cannons overlapped and was heard from everywhere. 

She quickly dashed across the deck to where the Vice Admiral usually was.

Haruka stopped when she saw her. She was fine, except for the fact that she was shaking a little.

Haruka watched her in shock. She's never seen anything move her. Leona was more of a lazy, quiet kid who didn't fit in at all with the jacket and all that shit. She was still the same child.

She still had that short black hair, the same childish features, the same stature. Nothing has changed. She never had a problem in the navy, she never had a problem with pirates. What could have happened?

"Burn it," Leona said impassively, throwing a ball of paper at the soldier behind her.

"Yes ma'am!"

The soldier moved in her direction. As he was about to pass her, she stopped him.

"Can you show it to me?" she asked.

"But Vice Admiral," the soldier began, but she interrupted him:

"I am a cook. The Vice Admiral always, ALWAYS says that the cook is the most important position," she said coldly, looking at him. " So if you don't want to get in trouble, give it to me."

She extended her hand towards him, demanding the paper.

The man, still unsure but realizing that the Vice Admiral actually said so, handed her the paper.

She quickly developed it. It turned out to be a newspaper. She frowned in thought. What would the Vice Admiral would find  in the newspaper so terrible?

The front page featured information about the execution of Flaming Fist, Ace D. Portgas.

She flipped through the pages. Information about some pirates, a war between small countries, naval achievements and other, even less important things.

She returned to the title page.

"Can I go now...?" the soldier began awkwardly, waiting for him to give him the newspaper.

She pushed it back to him.

"You can leave," she said and returned to watch the Vice Admiral.

She wondered if what had touched her was the case of Ace's execution. If so, how did they know each other, who were they to each other, how important were they to each other?

She looked with a hint of regret and consideration. Who really was their Vice Admiral?