thirty-three.

thirty-three. save the last dance for me

It was dark when you walked into the mansion, the only light gleaming from the fireplace. You could see his silhouette in an armchair, a drink in his hand as he sat in silence, looking at the flames.

"Klaus," you said.

His grip on the glass tensed, but he made no other movement at your voice. "You're back."

"I am," you said, walking closer.

"Already done with my brother then?" he asked. You could hear the anger simmering under his tone.

You rolled your eyes and walked to stand in front of him. He looked up at you, a resigned expression on his face. "He's your brother," you said softly. "Regardless of what was happening between us, I would never do that to you."

"He doesn't seem to share your loyalty," Klaus said petulantly. "I know what resides in his heart."

You couldn't respond to that, because now you couldn't deny it. Now, Kol's feelings hung like a chain between you. "Are you going to be in this self-pity party for long? Because if I recall, we have other things to do."

He suddenly grabbed your arm, pulling you to sit on his lap. His eyes were blazing as they met yours. "We?"

"Well, I can't exactly let them kill you, can I?" You said. "Especially considering your death means my death too."

A small smirk came to his lips. "And we can't have that."

"No, we can't," you said.

He reached up to cup your cheek, his thumb brushing your bottom lip. "I will never let anything happen to you, love," he said, his eyes meeting yours again. You saw the promise in them, and you knew you could take him at his word. "Rebekah is currently en route to destroy the last stake as we speak."

"I won't let anything happen to you either," you said, reaching up to pull his hand from your face. "But I'm not here to be with you again. What I said before, it still stands. When we are sure this is over, I'm still leaving again."

His smirk only grew. "We'll see."

You hated how sure he sounded. "You don't need to keep sending me dreams by the way. I remember our history all on my own just fine."

He looked at you in confusion. "I haven't sent you dreams since you left Mystic Falls. Why? Have you..." he face broke out in a grin, much like a Cheshire Cat. "You've been dreaming of me, have you, love?"

You blushed as you realized he was telling the truth. You'd been dreaming of him since you'd left Mystic Falls, every night, another memory. If it wasn't him...was it your subconscious trying to tell you something? You sighed, and pushed your hair back. "I'm gonna go to bed."

"Perhaps I should come with you," he said. "It's not safe out there until we know the stake is gone. I shouldn't let you out of my sight. Protect you at night and all."

"You wish," you rolled your eyes before leaving to go to your room.

• • •

You were walking up the stairs when you ran into Rebekah. Still angry, you began to brush by her without saying anything when she grabbed your arm.

"You've returned," she said.

You pulled your arm out of her grasp. "Clearly. I take it the stake is destroyed?"

She stared at you intently, not answering you, and you felt an unease under her gaze. "What do you want, Rebekah?"