fifteen.

fifteen. i had all and now none of you

You were in the front seat of the truck as Klaus drove you all to Mystic Falls, silent in your axienty as you awaited the revelation in Mystic Falls. You'd tried to text Damon, to warn him, but he didn't respond. Hell of a time to put you on silent, you thought.

Klaus was silent for most of the ride, letting you and Rebekah talk as you caught her up on the technological advances of the last century. But you felt him watching you periodically from the corner of his eye. Rebekah sat back, playing with her new phone as you turned to him.

"What?" you asked him.

"Hm?"

"You keep staring at me," you said. "Say what you want to say or stop looking at me."

He turned to look at you for a moment before turning back to the road. "You know, don't you? What he's hiding?"

"Why would I?" you tensed.

"Oh I figured your good friend Damon must have told you," Klaus said nonchalantly.

"Who's Damon?" Rebekah asked from the back.

"Stefan's brother," Klaus told her. "According to Y/N, I could learn a thing or two from their brotherly bond. She and Damon have become such good friends this last century. So, come on, love. What is Stefan hiding?"

"I don't know," you lied.

"Now, why don't I believe that?" Klaus said. "Ah well, I'm sure I can guess. Because I've been thinking about it since we left. What could Stefan possibly be hiding? He came with me to save his brother's life, and as we saw in Chicago, Damon is alive and well. So what else could tie him to that one pony town?"

You didn't answer. You were pretty sure he wasn't expecting an answer from you anyway.

"What made Stefan go back to Mystic Falls anyway?" Rebekah asked. "From what I remember in the 1920s, he never wanted to go back."

"What could drive any man to do that which he swore to never do?" Klaus countered, looking at you from the corner of his eye. You knew he wasn't only talking about Stefan. "Love."

"The girl you mentioned?" Rebekah asked. "But she died, didn't she?"

"That seems to be the mystery," Klaus said as he met your eyes. "You know, I do hate betrayal in the morning."

"I'm bored," Rebekah sighed, breaking the staring contest between you and Klaus. "How much longer till we get there?"

"Not much longer," Klaus said before looking forward again. You sighed and stared out the side window. You knew this wasn't going to end well.

• • •

When he finally stopped the truck, you got out and looked around. Mystic Falls. "This place looks boring," Rebekah said as she got out, caring Stefan on her shoulder.

You smiled at her as you followed them to the back of the truck. She dumped Stefan inside and climbed back out. "I'm going to go finish my game while we wait for him to wake up," she said holding up her new phone before she got back into her seat.

You looked over at Klaus. You wanted to run, to find Damon, to warn him of what was coming. But you knew you wouldn't get far. Whatever Klaus was planning, he wanted the element of surprise.

"Up you go, love," he held his hand out for you to help you into the truck.

You rolled your eyes and climbed in yourself. He sat on a crate, watching you as you walked over to Elijah's coffin. You opened it, and sighed. Elijah's hair was unkempt and you knew he would hate that. You pushed it back for him, feeling Klaus watch you.