twenty-eight.

twenty-eight. if you go down, i'm going down too.

When you arrived at the Old Witch House, you could feel the magic in the air. It was palpable on your skin. You knew Esther was very powerful, she always had been. But this was more than that. This was transcendent. This was the Bennett line of witches showing their unparalleled legacy and prowess.

You sped into the house, standing next to Klaus. Esther was standing next to a pentagram of fire, with Finn by her side. You looked at Elijah pointedly. You had told him that Finn was involved.

"My sons, come forward," Esther said.

"Stay beside me," Finn said.

"It's okay, they can't enter," Esther said. She and Finn stepped into the pentagram.

"That's lovely," Kol said. "We are stuck out here while the favorite son plays sacrificial lamb. How pathetic you are, Finn."

"Momma's boy," you coughed, looking pointedly at Elijah as you said so. He looked at you with amusement for a moment before turning back to the scene in front of you.

"Be quiet, Kol," Esther said. "Your brother knows virtue you cannot even imagine."

"Whatever you may think of us, killing your own children would be an atrocity," Elijah said.

"My only regret is that I did not let you die a thousand years ago," Esther said.

"Enough," Klaus said. "All this talk is boring me. End this now, mother, or I'll send you back to hell."

Esther's eyes flashed as she looked at her hybrid son. "For a thousand years, I've been forced to watch you, felt the pain of every victim, suffered while you shed blood. Even you, Elijah, with your claim to nobility, you're no better. All of you, you're a curse on this earth stretched out over generations. Look at what you've done to Y/N. You claim to love this girl, Niklaus, but you've condemned her to a life of hell and bloodshed. If you've come to plead for your life, I'm sorry. You've wasted your time."

You bristled at her words as you saw Klaus recoil slightly. You knew he was wondering if she was right, if he had ruined you. You could see them trying to figure out a way out of this, but they needed time. You knew what you had to do. You needed to distract her, to make her focus on you. Better you than them.

"You made them! You blame them for your own arrogance. Ayana warned you not to cast this spell but you did it anyway."

"Y/N is right. You made us like this," Elijah said. "It is of your own doing."

She looked at him and then you with anger in her eyes. "It was my arrogance that made them, and the blood on their hands drowns me. That is why I cannot let them continue on."

"Enough of this show, mother," Klaus said. "You have made your point. End this now before I have to kill you again."

"Mind your tongue, Niklaus," Finn glared at his brother.

"Do not worry, Finn," Esther said. "They will not deter me."

"You condemned them to this and now you would kill them for your own indiscretion? Just like Niklaus," you scoffed. "You could not remain faithful to your monster of a husband, and you rejected your son because of it."

"Enough!" She yelled at you. "Do you think I do not know the things you too have done, Y/N? I welcomed you into our family as a daughter. I cherished you. And then I had to sit by as you slaughtered the people of Chicago. Because of Niklaus. You of all people should understand the damage he can do. Look what he has done to you."