New Year's Eve (Revamped)

(e/c) - your eye color

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the midst of the chaos in your childhood room, you and your best friend stared at the remnants of clothes in your closet. Winter finals had come and gone, and now you were back at home for the holidays. A group of your high school friends had a tradition to throw a New Year's Eve party at a mutual friend's place. The host was a guy you had developed feelings for throughout all of your high school career. As time moved on, so did you. However, when his number popped up in your notifications asking if you were going to make it this year, it had you back in the mindset of your earlier years. It felt like high school all over again: back in your old room, with your best friend, staring at potential outfits while feelings of anxiety and excitement bubbled in your chest.

Your eyes scanned through the haphazard you called a closet. Most of the articles of clothing were straight from Tumblr of 2016. The "iconic" teal blue chevron themed shirts, the jeggings, and the godforsaken ballet-esque flats with an eyesore amount of sequins. Was that a mustache t-shirt? Dear God.

"So, what exactly am I looking at here?" Your friend asked in a mock exasperated tone.

"A time capsule if I've ever seen one," you replied with a shake of your head. "I think I'm just going to crack open my college suitcase instead."

Your friend's eyes moved over to the unpacked suitcase followed with a little hum of agreement. "Yeah, let's start there.." Approximately two seconds later, they had dumped all the contents of your bags onto your bed. "..(y/n)... This is *sad.* Remind me while you're down to help you build a wardrobe."

After some more back and forth, you settled for the ever basic jeans, a merch tee from your favorite band's concert, and your ran-to-the-ground high-top converses.

The drive was short, and as your car came to a stop you finished putting the back of your earrings on. You could see the smoke from (c/n)'s fire pit in the backyard through the windshield and hear the bass of the music thumping through the normally quiet street. As you made your way inside, the smell of beer filled your nose. A familiar voice shouts over the music.

"(Y/n)!"

Your head turns on a swivel, and your eyes land on (c/n). His smile was warm and served as evidence that he was a couple of drinks in already. Your stomach flipped, and you cursed internally. You flashed him a small yet nervous smile back. "Long time no see," you greeted him.

Your best friend slapped a hand on your back as they walked in after you. "Have y'all gotten around to beer pong yet?" They questioned with a mischievous glint in their eyes.

At the mention of the game, your crush motioned them to the back patio where a majority of the night's events and chatter were. Your friend wrapped a hand around your wrist and effectively pulled you behind them through the sliding door out to the small backyard of (c/n)'s house. It was the usual setup: beer pong on the left, cornhole off to the right, and the fire pit on the slab of concrete beneath your feet. There was a smores bar next to the cooler of beer.

During the beginning of the night, you stayed close to your best friend, engaging in small talk about what everyone had been up to and where they had gone in the past year. Out of the corner of your eye, you caught glimpses of (c/n) looking at you whenever you spoke or laughed. You chalked it up to proper manners and slight intoxication. Granted, after an hour or so, you were feeling a buzz of your own. As the time neared midnight, one of (c/n)'s college friends decided to light up a joint to start the new year off with a good high. You had taken that as your cue to step away, not because you don't dabble, but mostly to save yourself a lecture in the morning.