Chapter 46

When you take away a life,
With the aid of a knife,
You taint your soul forever,
And the bond with god you sever,
The act of murder is the devils work, Ending a life prematurely,
The punishment you cannot shirk,
For guilt will ride with you surely,
You'll never be free,

Always held down,
a great weight on your shoulders,
And eventually you'll plea,
I'm sorry,
Now please let me be.

The faint voices of fear and the shrieks for mercy. Her ears rang in them, making reality of the day sound more like a nightmare than the tossing nights. The smell of blood still sticking to her skin, the looming stench of death making her nauseous. Even the burning cuts and bruises on her flesh paled in comparison.

Knock, knock.

The boy did not wait for a response, walking into the room shortly after. It had only been a little over a month since she was last sprawled on the same bed, with him nursing her back to health. She had been jolly even in sickness, but this time was different. He no longer saw the light in her eyes.

"Noona?"

"Hi sweetheart." Yuna's voice came out meek, no longer the fierce woman who usually greeted him. "How're you holding up?"

"Don't you think I should be the one asking you that instead?"

"Hmm. Or perhaps it's time someone asked, is it harder to treat the injured than be the injured?" The boy's heart twinged at her words, he was not aware that anyone realised that he was struggling. "I see you, Sungchan. You are far too young for the responsibility on your shoulders."

Sungchan's eyes welled up in tears, tears of pain, anguish and gratitude. It meant the world to him that someone had acknowledged and valued his work. The boy had been struggling to cope with the pressure of patching up all his Hyungs and Noona by himself. He did not blame any of them for not being able to notice him succumbing to the strain, they had bigger issues at hand.

"Thank you, Noona."

"I'd get up and hug you, but I think I'm gonna need your help for that, kid."

Sungchan rushed over to Yuna, embracing her carefully not to hurt her. She reciprocated, rubbing his back softly. I wish I could do more for you than just a hug, god knows you deserve the world and more. What I can do, is make sure no harm ever falls upon you.

"I'm always gonna be here, Sungchan. No one will ever hurt you, I promise."

"I know Noona, but right now I need you to get better."

The boy smiled at her with tear stained cheeks, making her heart weep seeing just how young he looked. This is the boy who is keeping all of the Kkangpae pieced together. How can we expect you to carry this burden? She made a note to talk to their boss about getting more permanent members on the medical team.

"Fix me away, Doc."

•~•

I can't tell him, he will do something irrational.

If you don't tell him now, and he finds out later, you risk losing him forever.

He's already in such a bad place, how can I add onto his pain right now?

Wouldn't you want him to tell you, even if you were in his place?

Her inner monologue was interrupted by the ringing of her cellphone. She picked it up in relief, the call had saved her from the dilemma, she did not have to make the decision yet.