15. oh shut up

october 10 2021
kenzie's perspective + texts

I wake to the feeling on my head falling. My eyes slowly open and I see Kate trying to stand up and get off the couch.

"Sorry I was trying not to wake you up." She whispers.

"Are you leaving?" My voice is groggy and low.

"I wouldn't leave without a goodbye! No, I was just going to make breakfast. I was gonna make French toast. You want some?"

"I don't think we have the ingredients, but if we do, yes please." I say, holding the e in please.

"Your morning voice is so cute."

"Oh shut up."

"What? I was complimenting you."

"I sound like my grandpa."

Kate shakes her head and walks over to my kitchen.

I grab my phone and lay back down. My phone is overflowing with messages from Caitlin and Gabbie

caitlin and gabbie
throughout the night

gabbie
HOWS THE DATE

caitlin
HELLO I NEED AN UPDATE

gabbie
ITS KINDA LATE GUYS

caitlin
GABBIE WHAT IF WE'RE INTERRUPTING SOMETHING

gabbie
EW CAITLIN YOU'RE DISGUSTING

caitlin
IM JUST SAYING
are we?🤨

gabbie
ITS MIDNIGHT AND KATE ISN'T HOME🤭

caitlin
SLEEPOVER!!

me
wow guys thanks for the messages!

gabbie
SHES AWAKE

caitlin
SPILL

me
you are disgusting
-> reply to "GABBIE WHAT IF WE'RE INTERRUPTING SOMETHING"

caitlin
I WAS JUST CURIOUS

me
we got our homework done and fell asleep
that's it!
sorry to get your hopes up

gabbie
i hate you

caitlin
i'm telling kate to make a move next time

me
oh god

"Who's blowing up your phone?" Kate shouts from the kitchen.

"Caitlin and Gabbie. They're asking where you are."

"You can tell them I'll be home soon."

"And we have practice later." I groan.

"Aren't you the one who wants to be a coach?"

"I mean yeah, but I am so jealous of you guys. I wish I was the one playing."

"Did you have offers?"

"Gabbie and I were set on going to Iowa. And we both did, of course, but the goal wasn't to come without playing basketball. I had offers from a bunch of schools. I was pretty good. If I do say so myself."

"Gabbie always talks about you playing. She says you were as good as Caitlin."

"Gabbie is too nice. But I was definitely better than her."

Kate laughs. "Was she bad?"

"Gabbie improved a crazy amount senior year. And look at where she is now."

"I wish you could be playing with us."

I sit in silence for a minute. It always hurts me a little to talk about this. I had so much ahead of me.

"French toast is ready!" Kate announces. She's so adorable.

She hands me my plate and a jug of maple syrup.

"What if you just move in and cook for Via and I?" I joke.

"I think Caitlin would be a little jealous about the whole living with Via thing." She pauses. "Speaking of that, where is Via?"

"With Caitlin, I'm assuming. She doesn't tell me anything. And Caitlin all of a sudden has plans and had to cancel on us? Via has that effect on people."

"I can't believe you didn't know Caitlin liked girls. She only talks about Via every single second I see her."

"Via is obsessed with her. And Via is not a relationship person, so she must really like Caitlin."

"What do you mean?"

"This apartment is usually filled with random girls she's hooking up with. That's always how she's been. But once she met Caitlin, she cut them all off, I guess."

"Did she ever tell you what happened at the party?"

"She said they kissed a couple times and were just talking. I actually believe her. Caitlin doesn't strike me as a hook up person, seeing as they only met a little bit ago."

"Yeah, she's not. She probably would have for Via though."

"Via is very convincing. But she told me she actually would want a real relationship with Caitlin. I hope it happens for both of them."

Kate places her hand on my bare thigh. I changed into shorts last night when it got hot. Lying on Kate was making me hot enough. Kate rubs her hand up and down.

"Me too."

She lifts her hand off quickly. All I want to do is grab it and move it back, but that's probably not the best decision.

I need her.

avery's note

HEHHE CHAPTER 16 AND 18 ARE GONNA BE SO GOOD IM DYING

the thigh grab.

PLEASE COMMENT LOVE YOU MWAH💋