12. happy via day

october 1 2021
kenzie's perspective

"HAPPY VIA DAY BITCHES!" I hear ringing in the back of my ear, waking me up from what was a deep sleep. October 1, the birthday of my very best friend. But also the day where Via puts everyone around her through total hell and we have to enjoy it. It's my favorite and least favorite day of the year. And since she's now officially 21, no more fake IDs for me to stress over.

"Good morning 21!" I say as excitedly as I can at 7 am. Today, Via has a party planned at our place. There's a lot of decorating in store for me this afternoon and a lot of drinking for everyone invited. I'm not too sure who will be here by the end of the night, but Via formally invited: me (of course), the whole basketball team (for me and because she wants an excuse to see Caitlin), Emma (the girl she was hooking up with but conveniently stopped when she met Caitlin), and Lexi (a girl from the softball that Via is friends with). We also have to make a trip to the store to get what I'm sure will be way too much alcohol.

"Get dressed Kenny! We have to drive to the store." Someone drank too much coffee.

"At 7 am?" I groan.

"It's 7:30 actually and Liquor Downtown opened 30 minutes ago. I have things planned so get up!" She says while tugging on my sheets.

Annoyed, I get out of bed, throw my hair into a messy bun and change out of my pajama pants into sweatpants.

Via drives because she doesn't want to die on her birthday and plays that song that goes like "go shawty it's ya birthday" on repeat.

We get to the store and Via rushes through the isles, throwing stuff into her basket. After putting the whole store in it, she walks to the checkout.

"ID please." The cashier requests while scanning her bottles.

"21 today!" Via exclaims while sliding him her ID.

"I gather it's not your first time buying though." He says, glancing down at her heavy total.

Via just laughs and hands him her card. Or really her dad's card. He is filthy rich.

Once we get home, after another 15 minutes of the birthday song, Via pulls out a tub of birthday decorations from one of our kitchen cabinets.

"Since when do we have those?" I ask.

"Since I went to Target when you were in class yesterday." She says, taking the top off of the container.

After two hours of "higher on the left" and "blow up another balloon", our apartment is finally Via approved and I can relax until it's time to get ready.

It's now 10:30 and I'm making Via and I breakfast. "Kenzie you're gonna burn your house down" is what you're probably thinking, but I bought already cooked pancakes yesterday to heat them up in the microwave which is really hard on catch fire (I've only done it once). I warm up our breakfast and get out the maple syrup and whipped cream from the fridge. I put a heart of whipped cream on Via's plate.

"I love you Ollie." I say, handing the food to her.

"You're too cute Kenny." She says, already devouring her breakfast. Thankfully, I don't have any classes today but V has one at 11, so she has to leave soon. I love that girl, but I think I love my alone time more. She leaves and I practically run to the couch to snuggle up and watch TV.

Once Via gets home at 3, after getting lunch at Chipotle, it's now time for her to torture me AKA do my hair and makeup.

At 5, people start filing in. Caitlin, Gabbie and Kate are first; Caitlin's such a time freak. Caitlin walks in, I hug her and Via hugs her after whispering something in her ear. Caitlin's face flushes bright red, lord knows what Via told her. I hug Gabbie as she walks in, and then Kate. God she looks good. She's wearing a tight, black, short sleeved shirt and brownish jeans. She always smells so good and I just want to keep her arms around me for the rest of the night. But I can't. Jada, Hannah, Sydney, and Kylie come in quickly after and the party begins. We have boxes of pizza in the kitchen and a make your own drink station on our dinner table. Someone has to take of Via when everyone leaves, and I have a feeling it's gonna be me, so I'm staying sober. Via bought a flashing lights projector and huge speaker so it honestly feels like we're at the club. I'm pulled from my thoughts when I feel a big hand fall on my exposed hip: Kate.

"No drinking for you Morgan?"

"Someone's gotta take of miss 21 once you all leave. And it's either me or Caitlin and I don't wanna traumatize her quite yet."

"Make Caitlin do it please." Kate jokes. "That girl has not talked about anything other than Via since they met."

"Same with Via. Did you hear what she whispered in Caitlin's ear when you guys walked in? Caitlin was so red after."

"I heard the words "my room later" and immediately averted my ears. I do not need to hear about Caitlin's romantic life more than I already do."

I put my hand to my mouth. "No way."

Kate laughs, thinking I'm talking about what she said. She doesn't realize what I'm looking at until I point to Via and Caitlin in the corner of the kitchen.

Making out.

Kate whistles like catcall and gets Caitlin's attention. She sees us and immediately turns her face out of our eye view and whispers something to Via.

"Ok then." Kate says, her eyebrows red.

"At least Via and I's conversation will be interesting at 3 am."

avery's note

AGHGHH VIA AND CAITLIN

they do not know what slow burn is🤭

KATE AND KENZIE KISS COMING SOON

PLEASE COMMENT LOVE YOU MWAH💋