9. good night mackenzie

september 17 2021
kenzie's perspective + texts

I've been at Kate and Gabbie's apartment about as much as I have been at my own this past week. Kate, Gabbie, Caitlin, and I have gotten super close, super fast, and I love all of them. And don't worry about Via, she has new girls over every time I come home. She has plenty of company. Despite Gabbie's efforts, I've just been sleeping on the couch when I stay at Kate and Gabbie's, and Caitlin sleeps in the guest room. Perks of having friends who are lowkey rich: they have a really nice apartment. I can confidently say I don't know any other 21 year olds in college with a guest room in the apartment. I slept over at their place last night, but after practice I just came home.

"Kenzie, can we pretty please go out tonight?" I hear Via whining from her room.

"No plans for you tonight?" I holler back at her.

"Well I'm about to if you say yes to coming with me. You can invite Kate and Gabbie and your other friends if you want to." Via is starting to become just like Gabbie with her attempts to set me up with Kate.

"I'll go if they say yes. I am not going out with you on my own. I cannot take care of you alone when you're drunk."

gabbie, caitlin and kate
6:30

me
guysss
via wants to go out tonight and wants to know if yall want to come with
please say yes i can't handle her alone when she's drunk🙏

gabbie
yes sounds so funn

kate
yes!!

caitlin
duh let's go

gabbie
ill pick you and v up at 8 kenz

me
yayyy

"We're going out tonight!" I cheer and Via joins.

She grabs my hand and pulls me off the couch. She drags me into her room and opens her overflowing closet doors. She starts pulling out tops for me to wear and holding them up to my chest. She settles on a black strapless body suit and a matching black mini skirt. She then pulls me into her bathroom to curl my hair.

"Kate is not gonna be able to stay away from you tonight."

"We need to find someone for you to date so you can get off my back."

The clock finally hits 8 and Gabbie texts me saying she's here. Via and I walk out to the parking lot to see (thankfully) Kate driving.

"Gabbie I know you've met her, but Caitlin and Kate, this is Olivia."

"Hey!" They say at the same time.

"Hey! It's Via by the way. Just so you know, Kenzie never shuts up about you."

They all laugh while we pile into the back. Via sits in the middle next to Caitlin and I sit on the other side.

"Via what are you majoring in?" Caitlin asks to break the silence.

"Communications. I'm trying to become a social media magager. I run the women's softball instagram. I played in high school."

The whole car ride is basically just the girls getting to know Via. Caitlin breaks out into song every couple of minutes, because it wouldn't be a car ride with her if she didn't. The drive was only a couple minutes so we get to the bar pretty quickly. Thankfully, Gabbie, and I both have August birthdays, so we're 21, Via has many fake IDs, and Kate is a senior, so she's 21, but Caitlin is not. We all thought she wasn't gonna get let it once we remembered she's only a sophomore, but she pulled the Caitlin Clark card. AKA she asked the guy if he looked at the name on her ID and he let her in. Another perk of having friends who are kinda famous.