3. sounds like fun

september 3 2021
kenzie's perspective, flashback + texts

gabbie marshall
3:00

gabbie
hey!
there's a team dinner tonight,
just girls at that new italian
place in town
we all said that we want you to come!
will you?
pretty pleaseee

me
are you sure?
i don't wanna barge in on
something for the team

gabbie
was the please not enough?
yes we want you!!

me
ok!!
what time?

gabbie
6:30
i'll pick you up!

unknown number
4:00

unknown
hey this is kate martin!
gabbie told me she was
inviting you to the dinner
are you coming?
*contact changed to kate martin

me
hey!
yes im coming!
gabs convinced me

kate
cya there😊

no way kate martin just texted me a smiley face.

I rummage through my closet, stuck in the same position I was on Tuesday for first practice. This past week I think I've really made progress with the team. I'm comfortable around the coaches and players and have gotten back to being close with Gabbie! I'm not nervous for the most part anymore, but every now and then I wonder if my loss of playing hurts my coaching. I should probably go over the basics of what I'm actually doing before you or I get stressed. I'm more so overseeing practice than coaching, but every few minutes I'll make a comment to a player with a correction or tip. But then again, they're pretty much flawless. Most of all, the reason I'm so stressed is because I'm so jealous. This was my dream since I was four years old. Before Gabbie or anyone on the team that I know of. But I know that they deserve it too. C'mon I definitely wasn't as good as Caitlin or a lot of the team for that matter.

Ok back to my closet. All of my cute "going out" outfits have suddenly disappeared. Not like I go out much, but I thought I had something. I make my way to my second closet AKA Via's and check her drawers. I push past a lot of super cropped tank tops until I find a pretty cute and simple white tube top, navy skirt and leather jacket. Gabbie is picking me up in about five minutes, so I just pass time on my phone until I get a knock on my door.

"Twin you look so good!" Gabbie exclaims, also in a white tube top and navy skirt. I laugh as we head to her car in the parking lot and get settled in. She hands me the aux cord and I shuffle Noah Kahan for us to listen to. It's a pretty silent car ride, but a nice one. We've known each other for so long that we don't need to talk all of the time. Once we get to the restaurant we see Kate and Caitlin get out of the car in front of us. They wait for us once they see Gabbie's jeep and watch her park (very terribly) in the spot next to them. Honestly I surprised she didn't scratch Kate's car, but I can't be talking seeing as I'm probably the world's worst driver.

"Congrats Gabbie you didn't total your car this time!" Caitlin says in a sarcastic tone. Caitlin is probably one of the most sarcastic people I've ever met, and I love her for it. She's wearing a simple black long sleeve and blue jeans. I get out of the car fully and see none other than Kate Martin leaning against the car next to me.

college freshman year
third week of school

I get out of the car fully and see none other than Kate Martin leaning against the car next to me. Of course I know who she is, I haven't been living under an Iowa Women's Basketball rock the last year.