Act 17: Onward to the Next Mission

Start from the beginning

As Ayuna tried to catch Shirayuki, an image popped into her mind. She remembered when Shun was about to kill Shirayuki in Natagumo and how powerless she felt. 'I will reach your level to make sure this won't ever happen,' thought Ayuna, keeping up with Shirayuki's speed.

Watching the display in front of him, Tanjiro's eyes widened. "Ayuna-san is amazing!" he said, looking at Kage, who nodded. "She sure is," he confirmed before smirking at Tanjiro. "Which means we also need to step up our game," he said, making Tanjiro nod.

As they refocused on the two, they saw Ayuna closing the distance with Shirayuki. 'I got you now!' she thought as her hand closed on the white-haired girl's arm. 'I won't let any demons harm you like that time,' thought Ayuna.

However, as she was about to catch Shirayuki, the white-haired girl did something that shocked every bystander. At a speed they never saw Shirayuki reach, she managed to backflip over Ayuna, which caused her to lose balance and fall.

"You nearly had me, Ayu-chan," said Shirayuki, now sitting on Ayuna's back. "But I'm still faster than you," she said with a closed-eyes smile. Looking over her shoulder, Ayuna shook her head at the nickname before sighing.

"Were you holding back all this time?" she asked, making Shirayuki hum. "I don't know what you are talking about," replied Shirayuki, faking cluelessness. Before Ayuna could add anything, they heard a coin being flipped, and footsteps reached them.

"Do it again. I will try to catch you," said Kanao, making Shirayuki face the girl and smile. "You will go all out now?" asked Shirayuki, making Kanao smile but not reply. Chuckling at the lack of answer, Shirayuki stood up and turned to Ayuna.

"How are you so fast?" wondered Ayuna, making Shirayuki smile. "It's thanks to Tengen-senpai," she said before closing her eyes in remembrance. "He helped me improve quickly because he said he used to be a shinobi in the past," she revealed, making Ayuna's eyes widen.

"That explains everything now," said Ayuna before groaning and lying on the ground panting. "How can I even reach your speed, then?" she asked before hearing a chuckle from her right. "You say that, but you are strong, aren't you?" asked Kage, making Ayuna look at him.

"Kocho-san even told me she never saw anyone as strong as you other than Himejima-san," he said, making Ayuna hum. "I guess everyone has their qualities," she mumbled before seeing a hand before her.

"You don't have to be as fast as me," said Shirayuki, smiling at Ayuna. "I had to become fast and quick on my feet because I couldn't master Tengen-senpai's breathing style," she admitted. Ayuna saw a deep frown on the girl's face, making her sit up.

"Why not?" she asked as Shirayuki flexed her right hand. "The Sound Breathing requires tremendous strength," she remembered Tengen's words. "Because I wasn't strong enough," she said before her smile brightened softly. "But at least I developed my own breathing style," she said.

Seeing her expression, Ayuna smiled before her eyes locked with Kage. She scoffed when she saw his amused expression as she stood up. "Tanjiro," she called the boy, making him look at her. "We still have some work to do to beat them," she said, making Tanjiro nod and smile.