Act 17: Onward to the Next Mission

Weeks passed, and Ayuna, Kage, and Tanjiro's training didn't stop. Thanks to the three helpers, they started focusing on constantly maintaining their breathing. Thankfully, their efforts seemed to pay off.

Today, Tanjiro was testing himself against Kanao as the two faced each other. "He trained hard. I'm sure he will do it today," said Kage, watching from the sideline. Nodding, Shirayuki held a small smile. "I have a feeling Tanjiro-kun will do it, too," she said.

As soon as those words left her mouth, Tanjiro and Kanao began the full-body training. Kanao ran around the room as Tanjiro tried his hardest to catch her but to no avail. Then, he loudly shouted a determined scream and seemed to gain speed.

The bystanders could see that Tanjiro was getting closer to catching Kanao. Every attempt became a close call, and Kanao realised it during it. Every time she jumped, ducked, or weaved, Tanjiro was right there.

As she ran around, Tanjiro got closer, and his face held a determined expression. Watching this, the bystanders held their breath at the display while Tanjiro tried to grab Kanao's arm.

However, she tucked her arm in at the last second, dodging Tanjiro. Seeing his failed attempt, Tanjiro lost his balance and fell to the ground. "I was so close!" he said, lying on the ground as he nursed his head.

As she was about to check up on him, Kanao looked at her hand. 'He nearly...' she trailed off before looking forward. She saw Shirayuki holding her hand out to Tanjiro. "You nearly had it, Tanjiro-kun," she said, making Tanjiro look at her.

"Just a bit more, and you will do it," she encouraged, making Tanjiro smile and grab her hand. "I will continue to work hard!" he said, making Shirayuki nod as he stood back up.

"You improved a lot," complimented Aoi, making Tanjiro smile and scratch the back of his head. "Thank you. It's all thanks to you all," he said before looking at Kanao. "Next time, I will manage to win," he said before Aoi cleared her throat.

"So now, which of you wants to test yourself?" she asked, looking at Kage and Ayuna. The former looked at the latter and smirked. "Let her go first," he said, making Ayuna glance at him.

Nodding, Aoi looked at Kanao. "Okay, Kanao'-" "Not Kanao..." she started, but Ayuna interrupted her. "I will go against her," she said, pointing at Shirayuki. Smiling in response, Shirayuki smiled at her. "Are you sure, Ayu-chan?" she asked, which made Ayuna's eyes twitch.

Looking between the two, Aoi shook her head and sighed. "I guess this is fine since Kanao and Shirayuki are equally matched," she conceded. Then, she motioned them to go in the middle. "Are you ready?" asked Aoi, making the two nod. "Begin!" she said, prompting the two to start.

With a burst of speed, Ayuna blitzed toward Shirayuki. Sensing her approach, Shirayuki merely smiled before dodging to the left. However, Ayuna wasn't planning on letting her breathe, and she tried to catch her again.

'I will reach your level,' thought Ayuna, nearly grabbing Shirayuki's right arm. 'I can't afford to be weak anymore,' she continued as her eyes narrowed in concentration. "People, especially demons, could use it against you, but this is why you need to grow stronger to prevent it," she remembered Kage's words.